Give Palhares credit for one thing.... he sumbitted Jake Shields.

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
There's been a shitload of discussion about the stoppage, and I'm not trying to minimalize that issue by bringing up another more favorable topic for Palhares.

Usually when guys that are so skilled in grappling fight eachother, their ability to latch on submissions is cancelled out by the other's ability to escape them. Jake Shields is one of the better grapplers in the sport. Taking his opponent down and exhausting them is his gameplan, and he has a few submissions on his record.

Palhares not only submitted him, someone that's never lost via submission in his whole career, he used one of the fewer used submission, the kimura. That says a shitload about his grappling ability, that he's not only extremely dangerous when he has someone's leg but he also uses that upper body strength to latch on one of the more difficult submissions to submit someone with.

Jon Fitch only had one submission loss in his whole career, with the exception of his first fight in 2002, before he was leglocked in two minutes by Palhares.

Say what you want about eye pokes, holding on too long, and whatever else you're entirely justified to say, but Palhares might be the best submission artist that division has ever seen.

Yeah, the eye gouging and end of the fight took away from what I thought was a great exciting fight. You can tell Shields was gassed at the end and surprisingly Palhares was the one with more in the gas tank at the end.

This is what makes it so hard, Palhares is obviously a great fighter. Holding submissions too long doesn't help him in any way in the fight but he just has a problem with it for whatever reason and now he probably will be suspended or cut

Loved the fight through and through.

Sometimes when two great grapplers face each other, we have to watch a shitty kickboxing match go to decision.

Not here.

Loved Jake's strategy, though he seemed to be getting tired and who knows how the eye pokes (alleged) affected his overall game.

I thought the fight was pretty good as well and a very nice submission. But I have trouble getting past the fact that Palhares cranked the sub too long once again and is an obvious poster boy for PED abuse.

But technique combined with strength is very dangerous indeed.

Palhares is Monster I want to see a rematcht w/ Alan Bleacher

I wanna see Palhares vs Maia so bad. Apart from who Palhares seems as a person, I absolutely love the guy as a fighter, his grappling skill is insane.

If you just watch the 3rd round, it looks like Jake Shields doesn't even belong in the same cage with Palhares. Too much drama with Palhares but I'm gonna watch every fight he ever has. Hello Bellator

Jake did get caught fair and square. I will not take that away from Rousimar. But man, one has to wonder if the fight had not had the eye pokes and unfair play by Rousimar, if maybe things would have gone a little different. maybe, maybe not.

Palhares was foolish to have done what he did, because he put a huge dampener on a great accomplishment, in being the first to submit one of the best BJJ practitioners in the sport.

Would've been different had he fought clear vision Shields

cvs-logo.png

I liked how in the first round when Paul went to roll for a leg lock Jake would roll with him to defend and it was really effective.

Problem was Jake didnt have anything else besides that. Round 2 he just lay n prayed the whole time and the one time he postured up to punch he got rolled and almost leg locked. Then got lit up on the feet in the third.

BTW does this mean ALan Belcher is a better grappller than Jake Shields?

I liked how in the first round when Paul went to roll for a leg lock Jake would roll with him to defend and it was really effective.

Problem was Jake didnt have anything else besides that. Round 2 he just lay n prayed the whole time and the one time he postured up to punch he got rolled and almost leg locked. Then got lit up on the feet in the third.

BTW does this mean ALan Belcher is a better grappller than Jake Shields?
At least it makes Belcher a much better grappler most give him credit for.
He completely destroyed Palhares on the ground.

Nate also out grapple him

No he didnt.

But Shields gassed hard and was done, Palhares was fresh because he didnt spend much energy.

Great strategy, for the first time.
it's a shame iflost him in mma and have to see Shields holding people

Shields was dying in the fight. He was turning fifty shades of purple while Palhares barely broke a sweat. It looked like Shields didn't have a solution for Palhares constant attacks and strength.

One thing you have to give him credit for, dirtiness aside, he just tapped Jake fucking Shields.

He did tap a guy Maia wasn't able to tap. Give credit where credit is due.

Back