GIF request: Lauzon half guard sweep

BrazilianDude

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
He's ranked as a purple belt, but his bjj for mma is better than what we see from many black belts. That sweep was great and It was against Miller, who is very good on the ground. Can anyone provide a gif?

Lauzon is a quintessential example of how MMA JJ is different than BJJ. Lauzon is a purple belt, but his MMA JJ is at a very high level. I would also love to see this sweep.

I don't have it, but take this instead

Lauzon+Varner.gif

That was a basic elevator sweep. Guys hit that all the time, although Lauzon uses the chest lock to heave him over.

You learn that in your first week in BJJ.

Lauzon is a quintessential example of how MMA JJ is different than BJJ. Lauzon is a purple belt, but his MMA JJ is at a very high level. I would also love to see this sweep.

He's probably a purple belt for the sole reason that he never bothered to rank up. There are many guys like that in MMA. He's obviously black belt level and has been so for quite some time. For context, he was a purple belt before his first ever UFC fight. It's not like he got it yesterday.

And it was a great sweep. Textbook old school BJJ, very hard to make it work, but he pulled it off on a great grappler.

That was a basic elevator sweep. Guys hit that all the time, although Lauzon uses the chest lock to heave him over.

I'm a bjj purple belt and half guard is my bread and butter. We don't use those cute names for sweeps in Brazil, but I can do it pretty well. The difference is who you do it against and also doing it in mma, with punches hitting your face.

You also learn armbar from guard in your first few bjj classes. Still not too many guys can do it in the top level.

If sweeping from half guard in mma was so easy, we would actually see it a lot more, don't you think? Considering they all trained bjj for more than one week in their lives and half guard happens many times per event?

Stop trying to look cool. You are failing.

Are you talking about the old school sweep he hit?

Just shut up...you obviously haven't trained. That sweep , back attack to triangle transition to finish was absolutely beautiful. It takes a few years of drilling and dedication to look that good and apply the training to a real life fight. I've always said that Lauzon's jitz is the best in mma

Lauzon has great MMA jj. It's the type of grappling that should be practiced in MMA more often. Which is to say very aggressive and never giving your opponent a chance to relax.

Back