Gi vs No Gi bjj training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WNYguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm at a gracie school now training bjj. Just got our gis and all classes will be gi. I'm kinda upset about it. I know Cesar Gracie has pretty much done away with it in training, but my school is a Carlson Sr school and gi is still used. Optional classes are offered twice a week with no gi, but its at the main school a few hours from me. I'm considering driving just for the no gi classes but want to know what you all think about training with the gi? Will I get what I need training with gi? If there are problems with gi training, tips to improve it, things to avoid, etc please share. I found rolling with a gi on very different, as all my other grappling work has been wrestling and at a no gi school. I'm hoping I adjust quickly. Your thoughts??

you should definitely try to fit in both if you can. rolling with the gi is much more technical and you don't need to worry about the sweat/slip factor. since it incorporates a lot more techniques using the gi, it's pretty much geared toward sport jiu jitsu.

if you're at all considering an mma career, you should put more focus on no gi. many of the best mma ground fighters never had extensive experience with the gi, and hence don't have belt ranks.

You should learn both. Each has it's pros & cons.

i hate training with a gi. luckily, my instructor really only makes us break out the gi's when we're practising throws or certain techniques that utilize a gi...ie. chokes, restraing limbs, etc.

i don't like it though...even for the throws. i'm not trying to compete in tournaments and people around here don't walk the streets wearing gi's. also, i hate how i always get blisters and rug burns on my knuckles from using a gi.

just me though....i guess it all depends on what you want to do with the skills you learn from jj. ofcourse, if you're planning on competing in tournaments, it might be smart to learn some gi techniques.

I started training No Gi under Deividas Taurosevicius and I really loved it. Now that I am training under Soca Freitas, he was totally up for teaching me No Gi but he insisted that I first learn the basics really really well with the gi. Initially I was very skeptical. When I first started grappling I read Eddie Bravo's Mastering the Twister and he makes a really good argument for training either completely with gi or totally without the gi. Therefore I was a little bit biased towards putting the gi on. However, I gave Soca full control of my Jiu Jitsu and after my first class with No Gi, he had me out on the gi. It was like I was learning a whole new game, obviously, but I found it very exciting how the gi pushed me to learn techniques more thoroughly and I noticed, more importantly, that my No Gi game has improved exponentially. I would say give the gi a good chance and I think you'll like it. Once you have mastered the basics really well with the gi, sprinkle some no gi and thereafter divide your time between the 2 kinds of Jiu Jitsu.

I will never understand why, or frankly even how, people answer threads that are 3-4 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back