gi to no gi transition

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by urapean, Jul 9, 2005.

1. urapean

urapean Blue Belt

i was wondering if after 5 years of bjj w/ the gi would be hard to transition to no gi grppling?

2. Dedicado

Dedicado Machetero

nope.

3. TJS

TJS Brown Belt

not usually but it depepens on your stlye of grappling..meaning if you use alto fo spider gaurd...gi chokes...etc then it may be difficult. for me the biggest diffrence is my gaurd..most of the other stuff required little adjustment.

4. BJJ1995

BJJ1995 White Belt

I don't think so. After 5 years of training, your positions should be good. The only difference is that your controlling your opponent by gripping the body rather than the gi making the game slightly "looser." Positions and submission concepts are similar though - less submission options and slightly different set ups. Rather than locking the arm from the guard position using the gi and swinging your hips around for the armbar, you have to control the arm being attacked and "climb" higher keeping everything tighter to get the sub, for example. A little more work keeping everything tight.

5. johil d'o

johil d'o Thought Warrior

Piece of cake. Going from no gi to gi would be much tougher. From gi to no gi is easy.

6. GCSD Fighter

GCSD Fighter Red Belt

Rather good input there.

Agree with everything apart from "looser" comment. It's true so you have to keep it tight to achieve good control. Sweat plays a big deal with grip here, so it changes the game a bit.

7. Gsoares**

Gsoares** Banned Banned

What they said.

8. BJJ1995

BJJ1995 White Belt

Agree with everything apart from "looser" comment. It's true so you have to keep it tight to achieve good control. Sweat plays a big deal with grip here, so it changes the game a bit.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. The sweat makes the subs a little harder to set up and finish. Just have to be a little more "careful" during set ups and/or transition from one move to another more fluently and faster. Sweat factor and lack of material are the main variables while comparing gi to no-gi training, in my opinion.

9. infamous mattyd

infamous mattyd Brown Belt

100% correct. plus 5 years is enough to make the transition pretty smooth...I would think

10. Dedicado

Dedicado Machetero

tell us how it goes man.

11. ichimonji

ichimonji Blue Belt

If you want some hard training try to not grab fabric next time you are rolling with a GI. A lot of guys I know do it just to keep their skills sharp and add an extra challenge against lower belts. It puts you at a big disadvantage but also makes you become more creative by adding handicaps. Try it and dont tell your uke you are doing it.

12. urapean

urapean Blue Belt

so i should just practice not using the gi when i roll w/ lower belts?