Gi sizing.

mike p

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first Gi, but unfortunately I can't find a store near me to try one on first...

I am 5'10/5'11", but only 155 lbs. Would it be better to go with an A2 which meets my weight specs, or an A3 which conforms a little more to my height?

Like I said, this is my first Gi so I don't want to spend too much. Any recommendations regarding an inexpensive Gi that would make a good first?

I don't know about your size, but I can tell you that unless you ask someone who's a comparable size to give you reference to a specific gi, it's pretty much a crap shoot from different companies. My best advice is to find a gi that you want, do a little research to see if it shrinks, then if you CAN'T get an opinion from someone who's the same size as you as to which size you'd need on that specific gi, just order the two you have in mind. Once you get it, try them both on and send the one back you don't like. You're looking at throwing away a few bucks on return shipping, but it's the price you pay to try it on.

I've heard that Fuji makes a great gi, as does Padilla & Sons. I have a Gameness Pearl and an Ouano lightweight. The Pearl will shrink some if you want it to, the Ouano doesn't really shrink at all. Hope that's of some help.

for your body type try taking a look at keiko raca gi's. They fit well for the tall and lean/skinny body type. I think A2 would be good in Keiko

Jiu Jitsu PRO Gear

I'm looking to buy my first Gi, but unfortunately I can't find a store near me to try one on first...

I am 5'10/5'11", but only 155 lbs. Would it be better to go with an A2 which meets my weight specs, or an A3 which conforms a little more to my height?

You and I are pretty much exactly the same in height, only I am about 190lbs. I wear an Atama golden weave A3 and it fits me perfectly. I bought it YEARS ago (back when I was 170 and a teenager) and it has held up tremendously well through the years plus the extra weight I put on from weightlifting. The only noticeable wear on it is that the collar is getting frayed in some places, but its still doing the job just fine. Its not as baggy as when I was a kid obviously, but length wise it still fits great and is still within competition standards.

I've never worn another gi besides an Atama, so maybe I'm biased, but for my money I love Atama and plan on getting another one in the future. Hope this helps.

I just received my Padilla & Sons (A2) lightweight gi. The sleeves are about two inches too long. Joe Padilla instructed me to wash in hot water and just the sleeves will shrink. I'm 5'7", 180. Check out their website at matrat.us to order. Hope that helps. Enjoy rolling in it.

Foz arriving to deliver the 'wrong forum' message in 5...4...3...2...

For a first Gi I definitely recommend a Fuji

Budovideos.com - Fuji BJJ White Single Weave Gi

I'm just shy of 6'1'' and I weigh 170lbs and I have a blue Fuji A3. I don't think I shrunk it at all (I wash it cold and line dry) and it fits perfectly - about 3 1/2 fingers of space between the sleeve and my wrist with my arms extended.

The Fuji sizing goes A2 - 5'5''-5'9'' and 140-165lbs; A3 - 5'7''-6'1'' and 160-195lbs
Fuji BJJ Gi sizing

Since Fujis are nice and fitted, I'd go with an A3 and shrink to fit. Though, in the end, it really is a bit of a crap shoot because everyone's body is different

Stick with the A2 bro.

You dont want bicycle handels. Especially starting out, the vets at your gym love a white belt with a oversized GI.

Stick with Atama or Koral as well. High Quality, not too pricey.

I am 6 feet and weigh 168 and the best fitting gi for me is an Atama A3 double weave. I would think that a single, gold and double have the same cut.

Most gis end up being too big around my body, or too short on my arms (sleeve length).
I atlked to some guys at the gym that actually competed in bigger tournaments and they said that the sleeve length is not as strictly enforced as people think.

If I had to order another gi, I would think that a Keiko Raca or Koral in A2 would be good.
Otherwise I would look into A3s in other brands.

Its really hard to find a proper fitting gi when you are not in the general size chart.
I would try to spend $70-$100 total for a first gi (and there are plenty out there for that price) and invest most of my money into training.
If you decide to stick with BJJ you will need more Gis anyways.

Back