Gi Shrinkage.

Afflictionz

White Belt
Reaction score
I've decided on buying a Adidas J930 IJF, Mizuno Shiai or a Mizuno Yusho Gi.

Now; Adidas Gi's shrink in the Arms, Mizuno less so, On a Cold/Hang dry they shrink up to 7cm and Hot/Dryer 3cm.

That said I've got a question;

-- Once I've purposely shrunk the Gi will it shrink any more after it has been shrunken by me?

Thank you!

Ya, all my gi's slowly continue to shrink after every couple washes, even on cold/hang.

Oh, man. I wouldn't even put Adidas in the same closet as a mizuno. But that's my opinion. Go with the yusho, bro.

That being said, all gis will still continually shirk over time, it just depends on how much you can slow it.

So after it has shrunk what kind of "weekly" shrinkage am I looking at?

MM or CM?

I've read that after you cold washed it after shrinking it yourself you can manually stretch the arms out by grabbing one arm and extending it whilst someone else holes the other end, is this true?

Your gi shrinkage varies by brand and model. My BP International shrinks marginally every wash but my RedStar Pano de Pano stopped shrinking after 2nd wash-and I dry that one hot every week.

I think you just gotta play it by ear for each one

Your gi shrinkage varies by brand and model. My BP International shrinks marginally every wash but my RedStar Pano de Pano stopped shrinking after 2nd wash-and I dry that one hot every week.

I think you just gotta play it by ear for each one

RedStar brand looks good, But no Judo Dojo would allow me through the doors with it.

Yusho it is.

Another question I have is; What size Yusho should I purchase

200lbs/91kg - 6ft 3-4in - 60cm

Allow for shrinkage in the Yusho IJF.

Either size 6 or 7?

Thank you.

Funny-my gi has only really shrunk a little bit.
Cold/hang dry only.
Tatami gi

So after it has shrunk what kind of "weekly" shrinkage am I looking at?

MM or CM?

I've read that after you cold washed it after shrinking it yourself you can manually stretch the arms out by grabbing one arm and extending it whilst someone else holes the other end, is this true?

I'd say mm if you keep cold wash hang dry. Its very gradual, you probably wont even notice until years later when someone says to you, "hey asshat nice gi I can't grab shit."

I don't know about manually re-stretching the gi. I wouldn't try this, your gi will take alot of wear from simply training, it doesn't need you to go start yanking it apart after every wash.

Mizuno Shiai's are pre shrunk and are good value for what they are. The Yusho's are really close but woven in Japan instead of China and the price tag reflects it

Back