Gi question

Nickynoneck

Purple Belt
Reaction score
sorry guys i didnt get a response in e and g section so iam gonna ask it here .

I have done judo for about a year and half , and i got injured so iam taking time off judo to rest from the throws .

I am gonna take bjj hopefully for the summer and i was wondering if a dax moskito gi would be fine for it ? its a heavy double weave gi but its close to a bjj cut that you can get from a judo gi .

i was gonna maybe get an atama if bjj comes a regular thing or a fuji bjj gi that i have heard is pretty good for a cheap price.

i have heard guys using dax gi's in bjj , just wanetd soemones opinion.

sorry for posting in the wrong place.

My instructor has one, almost impossible to grip and sometimes tears the skin off the other guys fingers.

Pro
- Heavy Gi that will help your conditioning with its weight
- Hard to grip in comp

Con
- So stiff it might limit your movement (which rules it out in my book)
- Might not be the best tool for your buddies to learn.

Not for me, I'd rather be comfortable than 'safe'.

More of a comp Gi IMO

cool the guys at my judo club all work in comp gi's

and i only own the two moskito's so i am gonna have to use them until i feel i need to get a bjj gi .

I don't know this gi specifically, but we have some guys who train in gi's that are purposely too small and are really rigid. The end result is it is really hard to get good grips on them which makes life easier for them, but tougher for their training partners. Kinda bullshit IMO. Wear the gi for now, but if you start training BJJ regularly... get a BJJ gi.

I don't know this gi specifically, but we have some guys who train in gi's that are purposely too small and are really rigid. The end result is it is really hard to get good grips on them which makes life easier for them, but tougher for their training partners. Kinda bullshit IMO. Wear the gi for now, but if you start training BJJ regularly... get a BJJ gi.

the small gi thing sounds like a cop out .

I train in a comp gi cuz i want to be used to the heavyness of the gi .

Or you can just man up and train no gi. Just kidding...or am I?

Or you can just man up and train no gi. Just kidding...or am I?

have all intentions on trying it actually , we did a no gi session of randori at my judo club once ( my sensi wasent there a student filled in) and i did pretty well i found it easier to put on subs .

You guys made me feel bad. I have an A1 Pearl and it is kind of small. I have an A2 and it is too big. I prefer the A1 since there is less of "me" to grab onto.

have all intentions on trying it actually , we did a no gi session of randori at my judo club once ( my sensi wasent there a student filled in) and i did pretty well i found it easier to put on subs .

I've done both and prefer no gi. They really are two different games. I like the scramble and the speed of no gi.

I've done both and prefer no gi. They really are two different games. I like the scramble and the speed of no gi.

cool , all i know right now is gi so it would be interesting to try no gi .

heard its better for conditioning too and the gi helps with no gi anyway right ?

Back