Gi preferance: tons of patches or clean cut?

FightingFish

White Belt
Reaction score
So often in bjj you see people with so many patches that they are wearing more patch then Gi. So whats your preferance? This is a purely style question, what do you think looks cooler.

I prefer totally old school Gis, no patches and no logos. I think it just looks better.
what do you guys say?

FightingFish

I agree. My school only wears Gi to competition and only if its mandatory; or at demo's when we want to give that traditional vibe. We where a street karate/combat JJ patch cause that's our traditional roots but that's it. no logos

i prefer mine to have no patches, i guess in tournies it looks cool but not to train.

only my very favorite patch or two. As many patches as needed to cover up holes in my knees.

I could careless either way, I buy gi's based on reviews of other people that I know....some havealot of patches (Gameness for example) and others have minimum (Atama)...

Either way, I don't shop for Gi's based if they have patches or not, I purchase based on quality and performance.

I prefer simplicity in kimonos.

I remember Moon saying that your success in tournaments was directly proportional to the amount of patches on yur gi.

One school patch and thats it.

I feel that it looks better or if I had more skills I would feel better about wearing more patches. Other than that if someone sponsored me then I would wear that patch.

If you're wearing a shitload of patches, you'd better be sponsored by the companies who's patches you're wearing. Otherwise you just look like a tool.

Master Helio didnt wear patches, and im all about old school zhoo zhit soooo so no patches, just plain

We can't have patches on our gis at Rickson's school.

I think a guy should have many patches only if he is really damn good. If some scrub is wearing a lot of patches, something seems a little silly. As if some sponsor is really paying this whitebelt to spaz out on the mat...

I only were patches if I get money for the name. Since I suck..I get no sponsers, hence..no patches!

I had a patch from my school on there, but it fell off. Thats the only one I had but it doesn't really matter because I only wear my gi in the gym, I dont compete gi, not yet anyway, I prolly will at my next one in October. I just feel alot more comforotable no-gi as far as competing goes. I actually had a tournament today and I wish I had done both. I just did no-gi. I got second. I tuned up the first kid I faced 12-2 and since I got a bye the first round my second match was for the finals. I was winning the match by points but got caught in a triangle and for some reason althought it wasn't tight it cut my air off and I had to tap. I was really disappointed about that, mainly because I was winning the match and if I woulda just stayed outta that triangle I woulda won the division. I really wanted to go some more but I had only signed up for the one division and didnt even bring my gi so it wasnt even an option to do gi at that point. Oh well haha, thats my rant about todays situation. I prolly sound like a bitch complaining about getting second, it just sucks so bad because I felt so close to winning and then it was taken away. Props to the other kid tho, he subbed me clean and he was a really good sport about it and I gotta respect him for that.

lee.l. said:
If you're wearing a shitload of patches, you'd better be sponsored by the companies who's patches you're wearing. Otherwise you just look like a tool.

This is the truth! Simplest way is the best way.

I put 2 patches right on my shins/knees. More cloth in those areas makes it harder to grab and control my legs.

I am teh cheat!

johil d'o said:
We can't have patches on our gis at Rickson's school.

I think a guy should have many patches only if he is really damn good. If some scrub is wearing a lot of patches, something seems a little silly. As if some sponsor is really paying this whitebelt to spaz out on the mat...

Hahaha! I like this response, I can just see it now,the ads would look like this....." Tw0CRuD3D00dz K!m0noz!!! We support your forarm choke attempts from within the guard, your shamrock-syle flailing for ankle locks, and your futile effort to slam out of arm bars!"

FightingFish

I'm not a real big fan of the Nascar look.................

i only wear patches from friends or schools that i am cool with since i am in a club.

Back