Gi fitting

Guerrillastyle

White Belt
Reaction score
Just got a new gi today...its kind of big on me but was told it will shrink down quite a bit. The sleeves and gi in general kind of long. Any suggestions on washing it to fit?

Thanks

Most are 100% cotton, and they are always huge right off jump. If it's not pre shrunk, it will most likely fit just fine after you wash it. I wash mine in hot water, but if your worried about colors fading (blue, black, etc.) then you might not want to do that. If your instructor told you what size to get, I'm sure it will fit fine.

After you wash it, you can stick it in the dryer and it will shrink up quite a bit as well.

debating on getting a A2 which is for up to 6'1 when i am 6 feet. It will be Manto do you think it will shrink to much and i should get A3 6'1-6'3

debating on getting a A2 which is for up to 6'1 when i am 6 feet. It will be Manto do you think it will shrink to much and i should get A3 6'1-6'3

I would say go with the bigger size, and if it's too big, you can always shrink it.

Although, I'm 6'6" and 290, so I have yet to encounter the problem of a gi being too big, haha.

I've got a GB comp gi and am having trouble shrinking it. From what some of the guys at my dojo say, they're pretty tempermental to how much they shrink.
hot wash, high heat dryer is the general shrinking method. I've tried it a few times and am still trying to get it to shrink to a perfect fit.

TS - what are your measurements and what size gi did you purchase? Not sure about GB gis, but some shrink a lot, some don't (almost) at all.

6ft in an A2 seems pushing it. I'm 5'8 and wear an A3, mostly because I have the arms of someone 6'2.

Back