gi ezekiel?

xetyk said:
how do you guys do this move from mount?

one arm under the neck one arm over.

i grab the gi sleeve of the arm under first

i've done a modified version where I grab their gi because i couldn't get to my sleeve.

Yea with the arm on the bottom grab the inside of your other sleeve (four fingers inside sleeve) pass your other arm across the guys throat and grab your other sleeve (thumb inside sleeve) then turn both your arms forward so that the boney part of your forearms are facing up the way (this part puts the choke on).

Does holding the sleeves affect much? Not to question but rather trying to c if it can b done no gi

when you have a good grip off both gi sleeves it makes the choke tighter and it's harder to escape, I find it hard to perform this choke no gi especially when sweating and it's easier to escape. For the no gi choke I put the arm under neath and grab my other elbow, then pass my other arm across the throat and grab my bicep but I rarely use this choke no gi as it's low percentage.

Anybody had much luck with the one-handed Ezekiel choke from mount? I.e, hand on bottom thumb-gripping the sleeve on top and then pressing in with the side of the top hand against one side of the neck? That's how Ribeiro teaches it on his mount DVD, and it seems to work for him. That one-handed version would be really difficult to defend, particularly since he advises doing it with your legs hooked in from mount, so the guy is locked into mount. It's an interesting attack. I'm going to try it out as soon as I can.

see if i can describe it for you.

1.While in mount, ride low and put your LEFT arm under his neck. (shift weight to right to avoid upa)
2.With your LEFT hand grab inside your own RIGHT sleeve (4 fingers in, thumb out)
3.Then bring your RIGHT 4-arm over his neck (your RIGHT palm should be palm down on your LEFT 4-arm)
4.To finish, rub your RIGHT palm down your LEFT 4-arm (like your brushing dust/dirt off your arm)

*The grip on step 2 is important, if you lose the choke it's probably b/c this grip is loose.
*If your rolled, don't worry, you can finish this from the guard.

I did one in a comp. about 6months ago here is the link.
www.coloradobjj.com/video/matt3.wmv

You can start the setup when inside someone's half guard.
I've finished it in someone's half guard, but the leverage is better from mount or guard.

I only do the one handed version, i.e. reach under their head with left arm, and grap cuff
of right sleeve. Bring blade or fist (i like blade as I have big hands) of right hand down on their neck...
The key is a scissor motion with your hands such that the right hand goes under the left forearm...
hard to describe, but it works, is every fast and hurts/chokes like hell-- I use it often with the gi..
prod machado says its a good big guy move because it has economy of motion and takes advantage of grip/arm strength.

Our instructor has told us that doing an ezekiel choke from mount is a bad idea because you will get reversed if your opponent has any experience. He has always told us the only "safe" ezekiel choke is from your opponent's half guard.

It leads well into keys and other subs.

I really try to avoid using the one-side of the neck choke as it seems to be more painful than a submission. Has also screwed up my voice for a few days.

satchmo said:
Our instructor has told us that doing an ezekiel choke from mount is a bad idea because you will get reversed if your opponent has any experience. He has always told us the only "safe" ezekiel choke is from your opponent's half guard.

Admittedly most of my experience is with the no-gi version (even if I'm wearing a gi), but it is one of my favourites. While it's true you are susceptible to being reversed from mount, you just lock the closed guard as he reverses and keep working the choke and he'll be tapping by the time your back is on the mat. I've actually pulled this off in a tournament (no gi). Ref saw the reversal and turned to the scorer to indicate points (which makes no sense as it's not a sweep) and my opponent was tapping before he finished the roll. Had to tell my opponent that I was sorry to keep holding the choke but I had to wait for the ref to see it. I'm glad it wasn't a joint lock.

Ezekiel is actually best done when your opponent is in your guard...so I don't really see the problem with giving away a mount to go for it (heck, you give it away for an armbar and tons of other sub attempts). Plus most guys loosen their necks up with they roll.

TheHighlander said:
Admittedly most of my experience is with the no-gi version (even if I'm wearing a gi), but it is one of my favourites. While it's true you are susceptible to being reversed from mount, you just lock the closed guard as he reverses and keep working the choke and he'll be tapping by the time your back is on the mat. I've actually pulled this off in a tournament (no gi). Ref saw the reversal and turned to the scorer to indicate points (which makes no sense as it's not a sweep) and my opponent was tapping before he finished the roll. Had to tell my opponent that I was sorry to keep holding the choke but I had to wait for the ref to see it. I'm glad it wasn't a joint lock.

I'll have to be sure and ask him about that, I'm thinking he teaches the reversal + a counter/block of the choke at the same time.

Back