Gi Burns

ShogunMan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What do you guys do for gi/mat burns to keep them from reopening them? One of my instructors told me to use tape, but I wanted to see if anyone one here had anything special they did.

Neosporin and bandages to heal if it is real bad. Tape if needed for training until it heals. Your body will get used to it and they will rarely happen after awhile.

Neosporin and bandages to heal if it is real bad. Tape if needed for training until it heals. Your body will get used to it and they will rarely happen after awhile.

Alright, thanks. I know I'll get used to them, but they keep opening up when I train and bleeding everywhere, so it looks like I'll just need to tape them for now.

there is some kind of spray that stick to your wound like a bandage.

Question 1: where are they?

have fun taping a mat burn on your shoulder. If it's a forearm, you're probably ok to tape it and neosporin works well.

Question 1: where are they?

have fun taping a mat burn on your shoulder. If it's a forearm, you're probably ok to tape it and neosporin works well.

just fingers and toes, not anywhere real big. What would you do if they are on your shoulder?

The skin on my hands and feet toughened up pretty quickly and I rarely get mat burn anymore.

However, explaining the "gi burns" on my neck to my non-BJJ friends gets interesting without the the words "rough sex" coming into play...

I've got gi burns all over my neck, I just kind of deal with it.

I get gi burn on my face a lot... once I got it on my eye lid... that was a disaster it hurt to blink for 2 days.... and then when it was healing I was pulling dead skin off my eye lid....

I think next time I spar with a real bruising kind of guy ie. heavy crossface pressure..... I think I'm going to put vaseline on my face... see how that turns out.... I'll give an update

The skin on my hands and feet toughened up pretty quickly and I rarely get mat burn anymore.

However, explaining the "gi burns" on my neck to my non-BJJ friends gets interesting without the the words "rough sex" coming into play...

Hahaha I got the same comments from my friends at school.

I get gi burn on my face a lot... once I got it on my eye lid... that was a disaster it hurt to blink for 2 days.... and then when it was healing I was pulling dead skin off my eye lid....

I think next time I spar with a real bruising kind of guy ie. heavy crossface pressure..... I think I'm going to put vaseline on my face... see how that turns out.... I'll give an update

Bleh, same here, and it's becoming a real pain. I'm not trying to be a sissy, and don't really mind face injuries, but it becomes a pain in the work place or out in public. People ask me about them all the time, and think I'm some kind of weirdo.

Everything pans out when I tell them why I have a shiner, gi burn, etc., but most of the time I never get the chance to explain it. And I can tell that during conversation, people are staring at them.

Bleh, same here, and it's becoming a real pain. I'm not trying to be a sissy, and don't really mind face injuries, but it becomes a pain in the work place or out in public. People ask me about them all the time, and think I'm some kind of weirdo.

Everything pans out when I tell them why I have a shiner, gi burn, etc., but most of the time I never get the chance to explain it. And I can tell that during conversation, people are staring at them.

You need to master the blank stare.

It's not like anyone ever notices me, so I don't really care. I just do my thing and let people think whatever they want.

I'm afraid I have nothing useful to add to this thread other than to say that GI Burns would be a great name for an action hero.

Be careful of gi burns because they can be a source of entry for bacteria like MRSA..try applying a product like our Foaming Skin Sanitizer when gi or mat burns happen.

Oddly, Chuck Palahniuk got the inspiration to write Fight Club when he got a black eye in a bar fight and for a week everyone would stare at him but no one would ask him what happened.

Face injuries are almost always assumed to be from some sort of combat, and that labels you right away as irrational, violent or otherwise an outcast. Sadly most people won't ask what happened and just assume the worst. Made my college internship really interesting when I had a broken nose and racoon eyes.

As ABC mentioned mat burns or any breaks in the skin act as super highways for infections. Be certain to shower immediately after rolling, washing burns and cuts twice.
Our Defense Healing Salve is awesome for healing the skin while aiding in fighting off infections.

Guy
Defense Soap

Last edited:
Back