GI BJJ Rolling - Extreme beginners tips for a noob

jaynutter

White Belt
Reaction score
I have read the beginners rolling guide for BJJ, but being a complete novice I would like to know what I can do to better prepare for the rolling part of Gi BJJ.

I would like to roll effectively and hopefully contribute to making it effective for my partner and myself.

What would be your suggestions for me to do on my off time to prepare for rolling?

Please note I know pretty much nothing and have just started to watch some youtube videos of techniques.

thanks for any info.

just try to get to the position where you can practice whatever you learned in class that week and try it out on a resisting opponent.

Last edited:
This is what I tell noobs who I coach: Remember to breathe. Also, you have to figure out when to exert force that will serve a purpose, and when to conserve energy and relax when you want to flex and strain but it will do nothing for you positionally. I coach submission wrestling, not gi bjj, but the I think that is basic enough that it crosses over.

Last edited:
Is there anything I can do such as practice certain basic techniques at home?

Should I practice sweeping off my back or positions if I have no one to practice with? Would this time be better spent practicing at the gym with a dummy like the one below?

revgear-100lb-throwing-dummy.jpg

I jave been helping the newer students at my school lately. Alot of them learn how to breathe and that opens their game up alot just by itself.

This is what I tell noobs who I coach: Remember to breathe. Also, you have to figure out when to exert force that will serve a purpose, and when to conserve energy and relax when you want to flex and strain but it will do nothing for you positionally.

+1. Rather than trying to work on specific techniques, my advice would be to do work on some relaxation/ breathing exercises and stretching.

as far as practicing at home goes, just work on shrimping, hip motion, and the technical stand.

when rolling, the first thing you'll need to learn is to CALM DOWN, breathe, and work on technique. don't muscle your way through, don't spaz, just relax and do the work.

situps work really well for pulling off things like hip bumb sweeps and kimuras from guard

Breathe. If you find yourself in a position where you don't know what to do, just try to stay relaxed and try to recognize what your partner is trying to do. Then try to stop it.

Breathe. If you find yourself in a position where you don't know what to do, just try to stay relaxed and try to recognize what your partner is trying to do. Then try to stop it.

Thank you for pointing out something extremely obvious I should have been doing. My mind has been focused on offensive positions and not defensive.

I've learned that when I'm feeling gassed, taking a deep breath in through my nose and blowing it out through my mouth will give me more energy faster. A friend fo mine explained it in detail. Air in through your nose will give you more oxygen, and once in tyour lungs it is converted to carbon dioxide and is useless so getting rid of it quickly is best.

Back