Gi bjj for mma?

agente809

Green Belt
Reaction score
How important/relevant is gi bjj if the goal is MMA competition?

How important/relevant is gi bjj if the goal is MMA competition?

141bf6.png

btw, I like NoGi GIs! :D

training with the gi will help you be more technical without the gi

IMO, gi helps your defensive skills, nogi helps with your offensive skills.

Some people in early MMA days found out the hard way that if your Gi game is good but your No-Gi game sucks....well jumping from No-Gi submission grappling to MMA is as big of a jump from Gi to No-Gi, so you do the math...

There's some useful techniques or attributes for MMA or No-Gi grappling that you could use that come in handy you'd have to be somewhat proficient in the Gi first to perform. Like everyone else said...doing Gi can't hurt (but only doing Gi training will definitely hurt you)

The majority of elite level mma grapplers did or still do extensive gi work it's more technical and forces you to think more

Some people in early MMA days found out the hard way that if your Gi game is good but your No-Gi game sucks....well jumping from No-Gi submission grappling to MMA is as big of a jump from Gi to No-Gi, so you do the math...

There's some useful techniques or attributes for MMA or No-Gi grappling that you could use that come in handy you'd have to be somewhat proficient in the Gi first to perform. Like everyone else said...doing Gi can't hurt (but only doing Gi training will definitely hurt you)

The reason i ask is because I'm planning to do about a year of mainly gi training, very limited no gi. My eventual goal is perhaps MMA. So from the responses I can see that what I'm gonna do is not a bad Idea.

Thanks dudes

If you're an MMA fighter, don't abandon the gi, but don't neglect the no gi training, either.

i started with no gi and am now training with the gi. I wish i did it the other way around. Seems really easy to move without the giand now theres drag when im trying to slide my arm in to position and such. But on the positive note there is so much more you can do with the gi, chokes and grip wise. I like it. Plus it gets you used to fighting in street clothes if the situation arrises.

< sarcasm >
OMG STFU N00b- U DO GI U'LL GET SUBBED IN LIKE HALF A LIKE SECOND.
< /sarcasm >

... ahem... sorry- couldn't resist...

Back