• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gi and Clothing Considered Weapons?

Someone else's clothing can be used as a weapon against them; "jerseying" someone or yanking their coat down around their arms and then hitting them with a flurry of punches are street-brawler tactics that have been around for decades. Then, of course, there are BJJ gi techniques which translate well to fighting someone wearing a jacket...I bet the baggy pants favored by so many young wanna-be thug street punks are great for gi techniques.

Your own clothing can be a weapon. King Kabuki wears steel-toed boots; Savate or Okinawan-style kicks hitting with the point of the toe wearing those would hurt, and basic physics dictates that any roundhouse delivered with a booted foot should convey more force at impact regardless of how you land it.

I've known a few punks in my day who liked to wear lots of sinister-looking rings, which tended to have pointy things on them, to a) look badass and b) inflict more pain and damage punching. I don't know how it's done, but years ago convicts used to fashion rings out of cross-sectioned pipe while locked up which looked harmless by would open up massive wounds if worn while punching someone; time was you could identify an ex-con by whether or not he wore one of those.

As I've mentioned a couple of times already: any man's belt of sturdy design can, in an instant, become a ranged flailing weapon or a garrot to tie up an opponents' limbs and/or choke him.

lol I wear a couple rings. Not the kind that have pointy shit though. But they would wreck a face up nicely I think.

And yeah, the boots I wear I wear them specifically because I can both run or fight in them.

Which to me translates into me > almost every dude who wears sandals in public.

The jerseying comment reminded me of this brawl I got in in high school between my high school team and another. One of the linebackers on the other team was punching guys and diggin in elbows and such after tackles and the refs did nothing about it all game, either from not seeing it or whatever. Anyway, our tailback, in the walk past and shake hands bit after the game, grabbed the guys facemask and hit him with a bunch of uppercuts. I didn't see how many because he was still doing it once the brawl broke out but it was pretty funny.

Anyway, plain old clothes can be excellent weapons. A jacket can be used to defend against knife attacks. A belt (as mentioned) can rip open some flesh. A puffy winter coat can absorb a lot of the damage from a punch. Etc.

Back