GGG is still untested, needs canelo to secure legacy

TinkerMan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes he is a fearsome puncher, but very much like Tyson before he face top class fighters. Does well against good fighters but until we see him against a true great boxer like canelo there will always be a question mark above him. Even a household name like cotton would prove something imo

I agree, the Golovkids (Golovkin's fans as I call them) need to accept that Canelo is the a-side and move down to 155 ...love me some catch weight!

That's the only way the fight can be made ...the promoters have no power, but the fans do. By posting their opinion online, the contracts will get signed sooner or later!

The Golovkids pretend that their hero will win some sort of moral victory if he insists on 160.

That's why there are fans like me who speak the truth and tell it how it is.

And here. We. Go.

GGG can be the best middleweight around without fighting Canelo. He just needs to keep winning beating Jacobs, Quillin and the like would prove it. In the meantime Canelo will fight the best welterweights around...or he can move back down to 154lbs. if the WBC strips him. I'd like to see them fight, but I got tired of this catch weight nonsense with Pacquiao.

It's one fighter seeking an advantage and another fighter refusing to weaken himself. Canelo really needs to move back to Jr. Middleweight. If he is going to make everyone fight below the limit. Maybe it's a tactic to get GGG more money for coming in light. We will see what he Canelo and the WBC decide to do. No point getting mad about negotiations. I'll gladly watch both warm-up matches in the interim.

I agree, the Golovkids (Golovkin's fans as I call them) need to accept that Canelo is the a-side and move down to 155 ...love me some catch weight!

That's the only way the fight can be made ...the promoters have no power, but the fans do. By posting their opinion online, the contracts will get signed sooner or later!

The Golovkids pretend that their hero will win some sort of moral victory if he insists on 160.

This +1

Canelo comes into fights weighing 170+, is the middleweight champion, and has an ample amount of time to gain 5 pounds but will still try to a avoid GGG

Last edited:
TS is right though. GGG hasn't really beaten any truly elite fighters. If his career continues like this, he will be a case of "great talent, not much of a resume;" sort of a could have been more situation.

The Ward fight (which he probably would have lost) isn't viable anymore. Canelo is the only truly elite fighter at 160 he can face.

Stop being so sensitive.

Honestly Canelo, nor any other current middleweight will do much for his legacy. I don't see Canelo ending up an ATG and there isn't any upcoming fighters at 160 or below heading that direction either. Would love to see him challenge himself and try to cement his legacy with a fight with Ward at 168. Even losing a decision to Ward would do more for his legacy than knocking out Canelo.

In all seriousness, asshat raises a good point. The fans can say all they want about whats right and whats wrong. The fighters and promoters don't listen to us.

Its hard to tell where the sarcasm begins and ends in that post because its starts off as childish and petty but then turns to reality. No one "loves a catchweight." We do all love great fights though, don't we? And I think most of the hardcore boxing fans on this site know that the lesser draw just has to do things that they don't like sometimes.

Golovkin has a cute smile and his mouthful of jello accent sets me afire like everyone else and I just love his post fight interviews- "Good boy? Big drama show?"
swooning.gif

We've all been guilty of making excuses for our favorites but lets hope Golovkin realizes he has to give something to get something. We all want to see the fight, right?

Honestly Canelo, nor any other current middleweight will do much for his legacy. I don't see Canelo ending up an ATG and there isn't any upcoming fighters at 160 or below heading that direction either. Would love to see him challenge himself and try to cement his legacy with a fight with Ward at 168. Even losing a decision to Ward would do more for his legacy than knocking out Canelo.
Canelo already has a stronger resume than Golovkin so I think it would definitely improve his legacy to beat him. Canelo has fought several elite fighters and beat a couple of them.

I havent been watching boxing that long, but from what i can remember in all the "catchweight" fights in recent times they have mostly been DUDS.

Anyway maybe he doesnt give a fuck what some fans think on sherdog lol, maybe to him being unified champ is the be all and end all.

Canelo will eventually have a tough time making 155 & will soon start taking fights at 160, then there will be no excuse. It might happen pretty soon.

I havent been watching boxing that long, but from what i can remember in all the "catchweight" fights in recent times they have mostly been DUDS.
Pac/Cotto was a dud? Pac/Margarito was a dud? Cotto/Sergio? Hopkins/Pavlik? Cotto/Canelo? I thought those were all decent fights.

Sergio/Williams 2 was at a catchweight too I think.

Pac/Cotto was a dud? Pac/Margarito was a dud? Cotto/Sergio? Hopkins/Pavlik? Cotto/Canelo? I thought those were all decent fights.
Cotto sergio was a one sided beat down lol. Pac MArgarito DUD, Cotto canelo was good but neither fighter was drained, Hopkins Pavklik one sided DUD Pac Cotto was ok I guess.

Changed my mind on the Cotto pac fight that was pretty much a one sided beat down too, dud.

Back