Getting the most out of instuctionals

T

Treadly

Does anyone have any specific methods for learning from instructional videos?

I've got a few downloaded and my current method is to watch and take notes, but I'm not sure if that is really effective.

I find myself in positions while training and I can remember that I wrote notes down about this or that move, but can't ever remember quickly enough to pull it off.

Also not sure if I should just be focussing on things of an immediate nature, i.e. researching mount escapes if I keep getting caught there, or if I should just try to progress through a full DVD (like the Maia series).

Would like to know what other people do.

Thanks,

I just like to pick one move and commit it to memory. After that I'll try and use it in class over and over until I'm comfortable with it. Then repeat the process. I don't see the point in trying to remember a whole DVD. It's the small details that make the difference.

I've filled out a a hundred or so pages of notes off of instructionals and what worked for me is just focus on a move or two to take detailed notes on. I drill the move on my yoga mat or bed a few times working off memory and refer back to the source or my notes if I get stuck. Then in class I usually try to pull off the move by getting in the proper position against lesser skilled opponent and working my way up.

I tried to be a "collector" of moves at one point taking detailed notes on every single technique shown on a dvd but this never really worked since I never put in the effort to drill each technique and apply them in live sparring.

Also refer back to your notes after a few days to see if they are understandable, always making adjustments. Right now I'm using pen and paper but plan on switching over to a word processor asap.

I see something I like then fo to the club and test it on friends before or after class a few times and then asked them to resist and for feedbacks. most of the time, a higher belt will be able to adjust and correct the techniques as well before I use it during rolling time.

some instructors would frown up such behaviors.

I watch competition footage and if a see a move that might fit well into my current game i try to find it on an instructional/youtube. The last was the Xande sweep because i like to play from guard and use sweeps to set up my submissions. The current one is the Loop choke for when people pass my guard to half guard, it gives me a good sub opportunity that also enable me to get bakc to my favoured full guard if i dont get the sub.

I have several instructionals but i dont think i've watched a full one. I do on ocassion (cough** during injury) take parts of instructional to watch ie Demian Maia Advanced Sweeps / Braulio Estima Lapel Collar Chokes (Inviible BJJ series) and if i see a move which would fit me well i would watch it a few times, takes notes and try to use it in open mat before live sparring.

I'd be very interested to hear what the likes of CashBill, Oli Geddes and Hilary do, although i suspect they spend so much time on the mats that they have little time for instructional off it.

Last edited:
Focus on one or two moves, take good notes, bring notes to class to review before training. Drill the moves as much as possible, referring to your notes as needed. Make a point to try them in sparring. If you drill them, you are more likely to remember and be able to execute in sparring.

It seems like no one who has replied so far gets much out of DVD series. Apart from taking a few bits of info here and there but never really using all the information.

With so many YouTube videos it's tricky to know which ones are worthwhile.

I'm just looking for a ways to keep building info so I have a few different options to think through hen I'm in guard, mount, etc.

It seems like no one who has replied so far gets much out of DVD series. Apart from taking a few bits of info here and there but never really using all the information.

With so many YouTube videos it's tricky to know which ones are worthwhile.

I'm just looking for a ways to keep building info so I have a few different options to think through hen I'm in guard, mount, etc.

Well mostly everyone that replied said to focus on only a few techniques. Why don't you take notes the first time that you watch the move taught, then drill the technique like 20 times. Then compare your notes after you've drilled the move & see if you need to update the notes. Only learn at max, 3 moves per day which to many would be to much but only focus on 1 position per week, meaning that if you have to, you'll have to drill some of the positions 2 times per week depending on your instructional.

You can't just take notes, I have plenty of instructionals, I don't take notes or drill them but the most important thing is to remember the theories & philosphies of the move & then drill the move as much as possible. If you don't drill the move, you wont ever get it down.

I usually go chapter by chapter. If I see something in the table of contents that really appeals to me then I'll skip to that one first. I'll watch from the beginning of the chapter and if a technique sticks out then I'll make a note of it. I usually stop watching after I find three or four that I really like (that's usually more than enough to overload my brain). From there re-watch each technique repeatedly (usually a few dozen times), utilizing slow motion and 5-10 sec loops. I make sure to pay close attention to head, hand, foot, hip, elbow, and knee positioning (for both guys). After that I drill and try to work the moves in sparring.

I think it's also valuable to revisit stuff that may not have appealed to you in the past. Just because something didn't fit into you game 6 months ago doesn't mean it won't now.

watched roy dean's purple belt requirements dvd sections on the back and mount.

took notes (they're in my log here on sherdog)

tried the stuff and focused on it for a week.

watched it again.

edited notes.

took the info back to class.

Learn 2-3 moves one week. Drill the move until you can't stand to do it anymore. Apply while rolling. Next week. drill previous weeks moves plus 3 more. turn your drilling into a flow drill.

Instructionals can be great tool, but just watching and taking notes doesn't do much for you. It is just like somebody showing up for 3 months of classes twice a week and just watching from the side. At the end of those 3 months they hop on the mat and can't do anything.

For new material, you need to pick one or two techniques and get one of your buddies to drill them with you (just like you would do in class). Go back and watch the video and continue drilling the technique(s), try it rolling with newer guys until you can add it too your arsenal on guys at your level. Rinse and repeat with a new selection of 1 or 2 techniques. It may take you 6 months or longer to work through all the techniques on a DVD (and there may be techniques on there that are just not for your game at your current level).

You can target certain holes in your game by looking for specific instructionals that address your problem area. But the drilling and adding to your game part stays the same - you have to bring it to the mat for a lot of reps before you really "get it."

Instructionals are also great for reviewing techniques you already know. It's like being able to ask your instructor "can we go over that cool kimura set-up to the half guard sweep?" in the comfort of your living room. And you can ask the question again and again and again without feeling like a complete nitwit.

So in summary:
Pick only one or two things to work on at a time.
Take it to the mat and drill it.
Introduce it to your rolling
Rinse and repeat

Just like what you have to do with techniques you are learning with your instructor. As a final point, if you find yourself watching instructionals when you could be at class or open mat - You're doing it wrong! :)

Peace,
Zen Mojo

Get your grips, use your shoulder for pressure and whisper something dirty to the mat as you pass...

I only do 1 technique at a time + techniques that are a direct consequence. As in, I won't watch any more.

For example, in Cobrinha's set, he shows the Tomo Nage from DLR. He also showed the omoplata if they counter. I watched those two in one go, and decided to try them out.

If I watch too many, it may not occur to me to work one of them.

I tend to watch them over and over. I watch more than one move to get the concepts but try to focus on one or two during sparring. It obviously helps when I can find a buddy to roll with an practice the move outside of class.

Back