Getting the most from a Private

jackets5

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So i just set up a private lesson with a current BJJ world champ in 2 weeks. What is the best way to prepare to get the most from my private lesson.

I felt like I enjoyed privates the most when we just came up with a game plan (or two) and then executed it, and got tips all the way through.

For example(I'm a beginner)

Pull guard>Flower Sweep> Ezekiel Choke

Pass Guard> secure side> get mount > armbar

And going over all the nuances along the way. So I at least had a plan after the fist bump.

You've done BJJ for 2 years already, right? You should know enough techniques, but they may need some polishing.

You may ask him to help with problems you have. Then most likely it is going to be waste of time and money because you do not know what you do not know. Your problems might be not where you think they are.

I think if he knows you and rolls with then he'd know what you need. Otherwise I'd ask him to roll with you for the whole private class and stop whenever you are doing something wrong/your technique needs adjustment.

Thanks, i have rolled with him before (only once). I play pretty much his exact game, or at least try to. I was thinking for a bit to ask quick details about a position during a pass that i get stuck in, what to do in guard when your opponent does "x" and an entry into a pass from a specific position and then roll and let him pick details to show me when rolling

Back