Getting my back and neck tooled around by strong guys and wrestlers

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by brackis1, Apr 5, 2008.

1. brackis1

brackis1 Gold Belt Platinum Member

I'm a lanky 150 and went to BJJ for the first time in a while today. During rolls I was hoping to take it easy, pull some guard, be patient, etc...

Went up against big stronger wrestlers and they just kept trying to crush my head and back by picking me up while I had guard and smothering me downward almost to the point when my feet were touching the ground behind my smothered head, and with raw strength locking of my head when they had side or half guard.
    How do folks deal with this stuff from a technique standpoint. My neck and back were all jacked up and while neck cranks and uber agressive smothering aren't exactly friendly moves, I feel like its my own damn fault for not having enough abilities to avoid or get out.

2. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

Maybe practice more?

It was your first practice, you should expect to get tooled. No matter what some of the guys on here post there is no substitute for experience.

Sorry if I came off harsh (got a bottle of sake in me), but thats why you have an instructor. The soreness, the bumps and bruises are all part of learning.

3. FisicalGraffiti

FisicalGraffiti White Belt

sounds like they were just hitting a can-opener...all you do to defend that is put you're hands on the mat and scoot your butt back(opening your guard) and sitting up with your feet on his hips, or just push his face away and he can't put any pressure on your neck

4. brackis1

brackis1 Gold Belt Platinum Member

Primarily the problem wasn't with a can-opener, mostly just getting picked and having my head and neck getting crushed against the mat. A pain in the ass to ride out, and while it wasn't tap-level pain I'd like to not have it done so repeatedly in future sessions. :)

5. jasond

jasond Purple Belt

Open guard. Feet on their hips, etc.

6. Zankou

Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

Unfortunately the techniques that deal well with this situation (armdrag, omoplata, underhooks, spider guard) take some time to become proficient at.

If you play closed guard against large opponents, you are going to get smashed. It's a sad, sucky truth.

Playing open guard or half guard will give you more breathing space versus bigger guys.

7. JoelThomas

JoelThomas Green Belt

Open guard + sweeps.

Take away their legs and they turn into dead weight.

8. Prokofievian

Prokofievian Silver Belt

spaz and throw up-kicks...srsly.