Getting enough water

craftsman said:
While we are on the subject of water, does anyone know if too much water is a bad thing?
Yes, if you drink to much water you can get very sick. You dilute the sodium levels and other levels in your body

King Kabuki said:
A gallon is not excessive. Most Americans are actually just used to being dehydrated all the time, so drinking that much water takes time to get used to biologically when you've never done it before. But if you do you'll definitely feel the Health benefits. And your kidneys will thank you.
Agreed, though 2 gallons is absolutely absurd

Brand Nizzle said:
Yes, if you drink to much water you can get very sick. You dilute the sodium levels and other levels in your body
Indeed, its called Hyponatremia and has resulted in a number of deaths. As the excess water is ingested, electrolytic levels(sodium/potassium) become unbalanced causing organs, including your brain(restricted by the skull) to expand.

As for a gallon of water a day...a gallon is a little excessive

If you're supplementing with creatine, you need to drink at least a gallon.

Aerts/Mir33 said:
Indeed, its called Hyponatremia and has resulted in a number of deaths. As the excess water is ingested, electrolytic levels(sodium/potassium) become unbalanced causing organs, including your brain(restricted by the skull) to expand.

well shit...thats not good.

So maybe mix all that water with some gatorade or tea?

Boondocksaint said:
well shit...thats not good.

So maybe mix all that water with some gatorade or tea?

Its the same thing, infact gatorade and tea have much more sodium than water.

craftsman said:

I thought the danger was caused by a sodium depletion?

Aerts/Mir33 said:

Yeah, the layman's term is "water-logged." This happened to one of the baseball players at my school and he collapsed in practice and was taken to the ER where he was apparently in really bad shape.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it before, CrazyHorse, around sport practices and such.

craftsman said:

Water shouldn't have any sodium (H2O), but too much sodium isn't the problem with hyponatremia, it's too little. We require salt to live, and there is a certain concentration of it in the body at which our cells can properly function; if you drink too much water, the concentration of sodium becomes too dilute, and major hazards result. Too much or too little is bad; a balance is always best.

In the UK it's 2 litres (half a gallon I guess) for the average person. Which is about what I drink when on training (not that often). A gallon sounds about right if you're training hard for 2 or more hours. Grappling for an 1 hour and you'll lose plenty of water that needs replacing.

I wouldn't wait to look at your piss. Too late by then!

I find it hard to get enough. I glup 0.75l on the walk to work, then on the way home, so I get 1.5l when I'm not training. Make up the rest with other drinks. When I'm training I'll do another 0.75 or more at the gym and 0.75l after MA training, plus some other drinks. Think I get it about right, but more under than over.

Back