Getting arms free so you can pass guard

demonx

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of the thiongs that slows down my guard passing is getting my arms free from the person who has them trapped.

Any suggestions on things to try when someone is constantly trying to pull you back down etc?

The usual hand slap fest is usually good. Move your hands in ways that he can't keep a grip if it is no gi, and try to tie them up if you are doing gi. People also tend to let go if you stack them.

Soulfly said:
The usual hand slap fest is usually good. Move your hands in ways that he can't keep a grip if it is no gi, and try to tie them up if you are doing gi. People also tend to let go if you stack them.

I agree, when im put in guard, I just keep blocking there arms from grabbing my gi until Im in a good position to pass the guard.

Another way to make it harder fro them to grab your arms is to gat a nice high base so that they are almost vertical and their weight is on their neck, from there its alot harder to reach up and if your lucky enough you can throw their body weight to one side and get the back side control for the RNC or rolling armbar etc.

agu0001 said:
I agree, when im put in guard, I just keep blocking there arms from grabbing my gi until Im in a good position to pass the guard.

Another way to make it harder fro them to grab your arms is to gat a nice high base so that they are almost vertical and their weight is on their neck, from there its alot harder to reach up and if your lucky enough you can throw their body weight to one side and get the back side control for the RNC or rolling armbar etc.

Aren't you just inviting a sweep? I can't see this being good against blue belts & more advanced guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back