Gervonta Davis is a really tough fight for Loma, but no one wants to admit it....

grapplingod

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
...because he's unlikeable as fuck, which I totally get.

But if you actually look at the stylistic matchup and what Davis brings to the table, he would easily be the most dangerous opponent Vasyl has ever fought. Power in both hands, accurate counterpunching, fast feet etc.

In his last fight against Campbell, Loma showed some holes in his inside game that I think Davis is perfectly equipped to exploit.

I think Floyd is keeping Davis away from Loma to 1. Build intrigue in the fight, and 2. Because he knows Davis' chances improve every passing day, as he is 7 years younger than Loma and a lot further away from his prime.

Loma better pack his lunch.

A tough fight but he would definitely be the betting favorite. When that starts to change Floyd will make the fight.

He is just like most top fighters are around the weight. His power and athleticism do make a difference. I am not convinced either way that lomas volume and movement would shut down Davis or Davis would be able to shut down Loma.
I would be hyped as fuq for the fight but i would still favor Loma.

Davis's patience and ring IQ are a big question mark, but he has the tools.

Seems to me that Mayweather shouldn’t wait too long before trying to make this fight, as Lomo could just call it a day out of the blue.

Is Davis prepared to take a fight he could lose? Doesnt appear so. Don't hold your breath.

I don't see it at the moment, I think Loma is just too good for Davis but in a few more years when Loma is started to slide with age then maybe. But I think Loma will retire before that happens.

if davis even made it to the fight without getting arrested, shot, or missing weight... my bet would be he quits on the stool around the 8th round.

he has the speed and the power to put anyone to sleep, but he certainly doesn't have the discipline to keep going after lomachenko when he's getting schooled left and right.

I don't see it at the moment, I think Loma is just too good for Davis but in a few more years when Loma is started to slide with age then maybe. But I think Loma will retire before that happens.

Study. Look at this progression from when he first started to now. Watch closely. I think you are forgetting how young Tank is, he has been boxing since a kid, when he first turned pro he had some amateur tendencies, however, those are LONG gone.

People under-rate Davis's boxing skills because all they focus on is his power, it's simple. Yet he has adapted to the pro style the last 2.5 years, if you can't see the subtleties you are either choosing to ignore them........or you need to watch more tape.

Study. Look at this progression from when he first started to now. Watch closely. I think you are forgetting how young Tank is, he has been boxing since a kid, when he first turned pro he had some amateur tendencies, however, those are LONG gone.

People under-rate Davis's boxing skills because all they focus on is his power, it's simple. Yet he has adapted to the pro style the last 2.5 years, if you can't see the subtleties you are either choosing to ignore them........or you need to watch more tape.
I just don't think Tank is good enough at the moment to beat Lomachenko. Tank has improved but he has a long way to go. Who has Tank beat that makes you think he could beat Lomachenko?

I just don't think Tank is good enough at the moment to beat Lomachenko. Tank has improved but he has a long way to go. Who has Tank beat that makes you think he could beat Lomachenko?

Everybody has to start somewhere. I just see the tools, progression and talent. The power and athleticism are bonus, not the meat of it.

They do share a common opponent thought...let's not overlook this.

Pedraza. Who Davis absolutely destroyed, and who Loma had to go the distance with and actually got touched up by.......

Linares showed holes in Lomachenko

Pedraze showed holes in Lomachenko

Campbell showed holes in Lomachenko

This is all within the last year and a half....which tells me he is starting to slip.

There's a reason why guys like Davis (24) and Haney (20), Shakur Stevenson (22), Teofimo Lopez (22) want this fight now and are starting to call out Loma hard. I think Commey gives him trouble as well.

Loma is going to get his first loss soon enough.

Last edited:
Even Tank doesnt want to admit it seeing as how he is too shook to take the fight.

Davis has boxed 6 rounds in the last 2 years. he's plateaued due to poor competition and lack of activity

Everybody has to start somewhere. I just see the tools, progression and talent. The power and athleticism are bonus, not the meat of it.

They do share a common opponent thought...let's not overlook this.

Pedraza. Who Davis absolutely destroyed, and who Loma had to go the distance with and actually got touched up by.......

Linares showed holes in Lomachenko

Pedraze showed holes in Lomachenko

Campbell showed holes in Lomachenko

This is all within the last year and a half....which tells me he is starting to slip.

There's a reason why guys like Davis (24) and Haney (20), Shakur Stevenson (22), Teofimo Lopez (22) want this fight now and are starting to call out Loma hard. I think Commey gives him trouble as well.

Loma is going to get his first loss soon enough.
You are very optimistic. Teofimo will I think be victorious against Commey. Then we will get to see Lomachenko vs. Lopez. I think Loma will handle Lopez. We'll get to see who is right early in the new year.

And BTW Loma has already had his first loss. It happened in his second pro fight vs Salido.

I both get and dont get the Loma criticism. Has he had rougher than expected outings? Yes. A few of his opponents have exceeded my expectations. However, has he taken care of business and looked like the boss in all those fights? Also yes.

Tank poses a real threat if he has a confident head on his shoulders and comes out with heart like outmatched Campbell did. If he comes out like Walter's who seemed to just diminish in confidence by the second and tries to keep up with Loma skill for skill, then Tank will get destroyed. Tank's opportunity here is too better the more vicious dog, punch when Loma punches, skillfully counterpunch, but he can't hope to the better boxer, he needs to have confidence in his ability to impose and disrupt Loma from attaining a rhythm. If he respects Loma too much, he'll be domesticated and will become content to make it 12 as a best case scenario...

Loma has shown holes, but they aren't necessarily glaring weaknesses this generation of 130/135 lbsers can exploit. The whole crop has just as many questions about their resume as Loma, in fact most threats are waaaaay less proven than Loma. We question Loma because he's being compared to guys who are legends in the pros, and he hasn't even had a career defining fight yet. Quality wins where he looked amazing, but nothing that proves his name belongs with the greats. Still, he looks heads and tails better than his resume says, and he certainly is the top dog at both 130/135.

Tank should fight Berchelt, and if he makes that look easy he should immediately sign to fight Loma.

We probably won't get to find out as it seems Loma is planning to abandon lightweight after unifying the division and going down to 126lbs and according to Arum fight Naoya Inoue

Just my opinion but I think Tank Davis is a bad match up for Loma. Too much loading up and wild shots. The power is there, and yes Tank is pretty slick, but I just feel Loma is gonna see Tank’s punches coming from a mile away. For Tank to give Loma a tough fight I think he needs to practice effectiveness with his jab. Set up those shots with it. Something I don’t remember seeing Tank do very often. Admittedly I haven’t watched a wholeeeeee lot of Tank. But what I have seen I just remember thinking “Where’s the jab?” If we’re talking about beating Loma, I think that’s the worst way to come at him. Unless the ref allows a hundred low blows of course. I feel like Davis is tailor made for Loma. I’d love to see Tank vs. Teofimo

For what it's worth, Pedraza just said that he thinks Loma would beat Davis.

Back