gelatin and joints

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Noskill, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

I read somwhere there was reason to believe gelatin was good for joint health. I found only one study on the subject, it was positive but was also run by a company selling gelatin supplements...IOW I have really no idea whether or not it's useful.

Anybody here tried it with some results??
    I ask because all the heavy pressing, tricep work and grippers I do these days seems to take its toll on my elbows. I'm also considering buying glucosamine. What else would be good? Contrast baths? Tiger balm? Deep cold? Elbow wraps? What?

2. Duncon76

Duncon76 Blue Belt

I take MSM powder.
    I buy Organic Beef Gelatin, I use it when I am cooking. I don't notice any difference in anything. I never have joint pain though. I do use it for that reason though, since I read up on it as well.

3. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

MSM is just an anti-inflammatory. More of a symptomatic treatment as opposed to actual joint repair. I recommend a combination of Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM, as well as enough good fatty acids (the equivalent of the Tin Man's oil can), gelatin also helps, but nost just with joint, with nail, hair, and skin consistency.