Gear for beginners

IntgrB18C5

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm about to join a gym in may and I just wanted some suggestions about some equipment i should go ahead and get, and what the gym will already have that I won't need. let me know

I would personally make sure you have the following:

-Good sparring gloves (size would depend on your weight, but either 16 oz or 14 oz probably)
-Headgear
-Mouthguard
-Shin guards

And that's pretty much the basics to have for that. Some people suggest having an extra pair of gloves and headgear or whatever in case you wanna spar with someone but they don't have gear with them, but I never carry extra. Your gym might have some of the stuff mentioned, but I always like having my own stuff that I can care for properly and know who's used it and where its been, you know? lol

what about shorts or underarmor, etc, like stuff that would be good to train in

well any shorts i think are good just for training.
But I wear sliders under my mma shorts for times
I know I'm going to spar.

Go down to your local Big 5 and tell them to point you to the Century gear.

Dont buy any shit gear, just use the gym stuff until youve trained for a month or two then buy some good stuff.

Fairtex, Twins, King are all good brands.

The gym should have everything you need, obviously you'll need your own handwraps and mouthguard though.

I dunno if your planning on training muay thai or bjj but I highly suggest you invest in a protective cup. I also agree with the previous post dont go out and spend all kindsa money on gear until you get into it a bit and know your want to stay with it. Most gyms have some gear you can use.

cagesidemma.com has training package deals for really cheap way cheaper than buying gear seperately

Headgear
Mouthpiece
Handwraps
16 oz boxing gloves
MMA Safety Training gloves
Groin Protector
Shinguards (you may be a ble to wait on these)

Rashguards and MMA fight shorts can be purchased later too, but they are not necessary to start.

It really depends on where you train. Some places will have you sparring right away while others won't. I would hold off and ask that particular gym what equipment you will need to get started.

Follow what they say to a T and buy only the essentials. Then, after a month if you really enjoy training and know that you're going to stick with it, start buying the good stuff :).

It really depends on where you train. Some places will have you sparring right away while others won't. I would hold off and ask that particular gym what equipment you will need to get started.

Follow what they say to a T and buy only the essentials. Then, after a month if you really enjoy training and know that you're going to stick with it, start buying the good stuff :).

Best advice in this thread...first learn what you can expect of them and what they should expect of you...number one rule in any "learning environment"...

Plus...You don't wanna be "that guy"...you know...the guy that'll show up at any gym (whether it's for fight training or just working out) that's all decked out in shit like you're going to train for the Olympics or the damn UFC...so learn what you need first...

At the same time, though...if you REALLY need to know what bare bones you need, then I'd say:

- Mouthguard - I always train with one, regardless of whether I'm sparring or not...just to get used to breathing with it for sparring
- Hand wraps - This does 2 things...protects your hands/fingers/wrists...and keeps your gloves from completely smelling like shit later down the line...you'll use these whether you're sparring, doing bag/padwork, or just drilling...
- Cup - Accidents happen...even when you're just drilling...protect the manly special area and your mighty offspring shall thank you later down the line

Worry about shit like what types of gloves and shin pads and a headgear and shorts and shirts and rash guards and blah blah blah later down the line AFTER there is an exchange of expectations between you and the gym...

Hey guys I'm about to join a gym in may and I just wanted some suggestions about some equipment i should go ahead and get, and what the gym will already have that I won't need. let me know

For me, I'd say...
-gloves
-mouthguard
-cup

You should be able to get by pretty well with these. I know other people suggest using the gym's materials, but I just don't like it...feels like I'm sharing socks or something.

Anyways, I'd wait it out for a few classes afterwards and see what else you really need.

Type of gym? MMA? Boxing? bjj? Changes some of what you might need.

yea definetly depends on type of training but i would say
-shorts..or gi
-gloves
-hand wraps
-mouthguard
-Shin guards

and the importance prolly in that order since u may get away without shingurads for a bit if ur not sparring.

cagesidemma.com has training package deals for really cheap way cheaper than buying gear seperately

oh wow, I wish I knew of that 4 months ago! :icon_sad:

those are good deals!

really? i mean it also depends on what the gym requires..but i would definetly have gloves...

We don't know what kind of training he's going to do. I think he should wait until he's been there a few times to see what is really required. Bag gloves, sparing gloves, shooto gloves, mma gloves, and how much should they wiegh?... If it's a decent gym they should have spares for newbees. I just think it's too early to be spending money on maybe the wrong things. If you wait you can get exactly what you need.

Back