Gastelum is at a crossroads

That Bisping win aged terribly, Bisping had just gotten choked out weeks earlier by GSP he should've never fought that soon after.

I dont really disagree. Bisping was never better as lower top 10 at best. Still it was a solid top15 win. But then take Gastelums close losses against top opponents. It werent blowouts but hard fought victories against Gastelum. Not everyone is a title contender

aaa6424e-78ff-4bad-8cc8-ff98e4afd3b7.jpg

Gas could really do great work at 170. He's too small to be a very effective grappler at mw even though he's a talented grappler. He's giving up range in almost every single fight. He's super talented but it's going to be a huge uphill battle to get back to the belt.
I agree, the range is a real problem for him at MW when he fights anyone with half decent footwork. It’s frustrating to see how many of his punches come up short.

Kelvin strikes me as being pretty... not smart. I remember the interview after the Marquardt fight where he thought if he won he'd be allowed back at 170, showing he missed the entire point of fighting up.

It also seems he's doing the Johny Hendricks thing of moving up but cutting the same so he can eat more.

I know he's only 29 but Gastelum is at a crossroads in his career.

He clearly doesn't have the size to compete at MW but also doesn't have the discipline to maintain his weight for WW.

He's 1-5 at MW as of late. So he has two options: retire or get his weight in order and go to 170.

I don't think he'll do either, so he will remain a gatekeeper at MW, always losing to the top guys when he fights them.
He struggled to make 185, again! Hard to say he is too small. It's even harder to say he needs discipline to make ww when he can barely make MW

Guy just isn’t good enough to hang with the top contenders that’s all. Same with Hooker.

I know he's only 29 but Gastelum is at a crossroads in his career.

He clearly doesn't have the size to compete at MW but also doesn't have the discipline to maintain his weight for WW.

He's 1-5 at MW as of late. So he has two options: retire or get his weight in order and go to 170.

I don't think he'll do either, so he will remain a gatekeeper at MW, always losing to the top guys when he fights them.

or they cut him because his record as of late is shit....the ufc has given him more than enough chances at both ww and mw it's only a matter of time before they pull the plug on him. personally speaking he's not even a contender for the ww or mw belt so if becoming a champion is his goal he's better off getting out when he gets the chance, if he wants to pursue a championship try his luck in another organization, I don't think he'll ever be a ufc champion so why stick around.

Unpopular opinion but I think he's past his prime. I know he's 29. But the more important number is he's been competing 11 years now... we all know the metrics of 9-10 years and people drop off on average.

Watch him a few years ago brutalizing Kennedy, Bisping, Vitor, and having extremely close fights with guys like Jacare and Izzy. His physicality and his technique peaked then. That guy brutalizes the current Kelvin... IMHO

he needs to go low carb and get back down to ww. hit up dolce, who had him looking his best at ww. he is too fat and small for mw

It's funny how people keep saying he could be a champ at 170. He doesn't have a great fight IQ and makes terrible decisions all the time, he's got plenty of problems beyond just being undersized at 185.

The Bellator suggestions get stronger with each loss. He's past his prime now, started young, and it's unlikely we get a WW resurgence because of...food.

In BT he'll get more winnable fights, like Salter, because in the UFC he's used as a headliner, so it's always one top ranked guy after the next. He did get the layup recently, though. If he stays in UFC MW he'd need more of those.

He's like Erick Silva without the advantage of youth. No matter how many times he loses and no matter how obvious it is he's never making WW again people will continue to believe he has the ability to make a run at the belt.

It's over. The only crossroads is whether the UFC cuts him and he goes to Bellator or some other org.

Call out Conor for 175 lbs.
They had beef before, they both are fan favourites, they both fight hard, fight clean etc.
If only Gastelum used one of his wins to proclaim himself "the next Colby Covington" amd talk mad shit about everybody, call out everyone... Millions of dollars are waiting.

I hope Bone Thugs N Harmony are there so he won't be lonely.

Back