Gastelum favored to ko Adesanya?

FlyingDeathKick

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people saying this and now there's a poll and the most popular choice by far is Gastelum by tko/ko... What am I missing here? When has Gastelum ever finished anybody that wasn't not only past their prime but also coming off of 1 or more losses in a row (usually by finish)? Marquardt was coming off of a loss, lost 4 of his last 5 and had been ko'd in 2 of those 4 losses. Kennedy was coming off of a 2 year layoff and was tko'd in his last fight. He was also essentially retired before coming back for some extra cash. Old post TRT Vitor was coming off of 2 straight tko losses. Bisping got fucked up and choked unconscious by GSP exactly 3 weeks prior to the Gastelum fight and also got dropped twice by old man Dan the fight before that.

His best win is an SD over Jacare. He missed weight multiple times at 170 and went on record saying he didn't think he could beat Weidman or Souza and wanted to keep fighting at 170. He fought Weidman because he thought he was on the decline (losing by tko 3x in a row)... At 185 he's established himself as a contender by beating old dudes that had been brutally finished in recent fights. Who has he been able to finish that wasn't coming off of a loss? He couldn't finish post TRT Hendricks, he lost to Magny, He lost to 3 fight tko losing streak Weidman..

With all that said it's possible he could tko/ko Adesanya, he does have power. It's just I don't understand why people seem to think it's the most likely outcome. Brunson has serious power and high level wrestling but how did that fight go?

Edit: Gastelum is called a wrecking machine at 185lbs but let's take a look... Vitor is 42, Marquardt is 39, Kennedy is 39, Bisping is 40. Also all of those guys were coming off of losses. Now let's look at his other 2 wins at 185lbs Uriah Hall is 34 and this fight was way back in 2013, Hall was on a winning streak and the result? SD win for Gastelum. Now that brings us to Jacare, he's 39 but what does he have in common with Hall? He was coming off of a win. The result was another SD win for Gastelum.

The current age of his opponents at 170 are 36, 34, 33, 34, 37, 31 and 35. His oldest opponent at 170 is Woodley. At 185 he's been hunting old men who were coming off of losses.

Edit #2: Gastelum's record in the UFC against fighters coming off of wins... SD win over Uriah Hall, rear naked choked over Brian Melancon, SD win over Rick Story, UD win over Nico Musoke, SD loss to Woodley, SD loss to Magny, SD win over Souza.

Edit #3 Gastelum is now 5-3 against fighters coming off a win, 3 wins by SD, 1 win by UD, 1 by submission 2 SD losses and now a UD loss (should have been a tko). Gastelum is the overrated one not Adesanya.

Edit #4 He had to cheat to make weight against a guy coming off 2 straight finish losses and who was coming up from 170. He also poked him in the eye, still lost though because Till isn't 90 years old.

Last edited:
Not a gimme for either fighter imo. I'm thinking Adesanya by decision but not ruling out the popular ko/tko win for Kelvin either

People think Israel is a hype job. I'm not really convinced otherwise myself yet if I'm honest.

If someone gets kod.. its going to be adesanyaa.. id be completely shicked if he kos gastelum.. i expect hin to win by decision or tko at best

i'm not sure what everyone sees in gastelum either. i predict plenty of salt around here when israel beats him from pillar to post.<Fedor23>

I don't like Adesanya and I'm letting my emotions influence my pick.

i'm not sure what everyone sees in gastelum either. MFs gonna be upset when israel beats him from pillar to post.<Fedor23>
I have no clue, I think it has to do with him finishing or knocking down everybody he has fought at 185 but again... Everybody he has fought at 185 was past their prime and had also been brutally finished recently.

Gastelum has extremely heavy hands in the pocket and he throws them well. He actually has some boxing technique, which is rare from MMA fighters.

Adesanya better not let Kelvin inside or I can easily see Israel going down

Gastelum is +384 in Vegas to win by KO/TKO. I'd listen to them before I would your average armchair fighter (Sherdogger).

ONLY ON SHERDOG !!!
BUT IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY SHOGUN WAS ALSO FAVORED TO KO JONES SO YEAH.

UD or tko for isreal. Gastelum has very basic boxing with power. He won't land anything substantial imo, and will get picked apart on the feet if he allows this to become a kickboxing match

I don't think Adesanya is as well-rounded or skilled as he needs to be, or has been hyped to be. Gastelum can weather a storm, and has the experience to not be dazzled or threatened by some spinning nonsense.
Adesanya's UFC tenure has not been very impressive. He hasn't faced as tough competition as Gastelum, and has not looked great in his wins (Derek Brunson being the exception). In fact, it looks sort of like he's been protected from most of the sharks out there

Gastelum is +384 in Vegas to win by KO/TKO. I'd listen to them before I would your average armchair fighter (Sherdogger).
trying to find the detaild odds online (not just the odds to win). Help a fellow Sherbro out if you could,.....got a link ? tks

I"m sure it has nothing to do with adesanya KTFO the extremely dangerous #2 ranked Vettori.

Israel was not able to KO out of prime Silva.

cant see him beating Gastelum

Back