Gassing really fast?

LODD2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I've been doing BJJ For 3 months about and before I went to vacation I didn't really gas very hard and had decent ability to sub, but poor ability to pass guard and escape from mount/side control. Now after I get back, I find myself completely exhausted for some reason. I was gone for 3 weeks and ran a couple miles here and there on vacation but now when I come back even after one week I am complete bummed out. People easily get top or guard on me easily and thats the only reason why my ability to pass guard and escape from mount is getting better as all I play are those positions. Even when I get guard, its just like I am stuck there as I lack the energy to really swiftly swing my legs for an armbar or a triangle choke. Is there something I can do to prevent gassing? I have pretty ok cardio, and I always thought my muscle endurance was pretty good.

Don't drink pop. Don't eat crap. After a week you'll be able to notice a huge difference. The best thing to do is just keep rolling... Eventually you'll get the fight cardio.

Is there anyway I can improve my "fight cardio" (I am guessing this is general overall muscular endurance), it seems really subpar to what I am used to. I am almost just losing focus on BJJ. I almost feel like quitting because I gas so quickly. Actually on another note

How do you guys start rolling, as in on the ground after you shake hands and bow, what do you guys do? I don't really know how to start it. I usually get in by putting my weight on one foot and shin (imagine the bottom half of a nazi symbol) Is there any tips I should look for when rolling this way, like grip fighting?

Basically by just rolling or going to class alot. I've seen people who could run for miles and not be able to roll for very long. If you lift weights or anything do less weight and a lot more reps.

Run in the morning. You don't need to sprint, just a relaxed distance run, even just 2 miles. Wake up a little earlier to make it part of your routine. It will make a big difference.

When you fight, take at least every third or fourth breath DEEP through your nose, not constant shallow breaths through your mouth. Proper breathing makes a world of difference to your gas tank.

The key is knowing when to be tight but more important know when to be loose. Newer guys have the constant tight or tense down great but never relax. It like a soccer player. They don't sprint on the field 100% all the time. Some times they jog walk or just stand. The key is to know when for each. That is just mat time and not sitting out. Gut it out.

Is there anyway I can improve my "fight cardio" (I am guessing this is general overall muscular endurance),

Sure you can train it, but I honestly think it's mostly a matter of experience --> grappling intelligence. With time you learn to conserve your energy a lot more, economy of movement, not to hold your breath and to relax when possible.

Thanks I'll try the breathing idea, IDK about the running though, but I'll see if I can fit that in my schedule. As for being relaxed, its kind of difficult for me as I am relaxed, at the start and then I get dominated and then I gas trying to escape (I do escape afew times, but ultimately I get worn down)

Even when you're getting crushed by an experienced guy in a dominant position you need to be very focused on not wasting any energy and only going for escapes/sweeps when you see a good opportunity.
If an inexperienced opponent starts thrashing and wasting energy on the bottom it's quite easy to just ride it out until they gas or break themselves.

Thanks I'll try the breathing idea, IDK about the running though, but I'll see if I can fit that in my schedule. As for being relaxed, its kind of difficult for me as I am relaxed, at the start and then I get dominated and then I gas trying to escape (I do escape afew times, but ultimately I get worn down)

I was having cardio issues and i went to 8weeksout.com and it really helped me out. I don't get tired in class at all now. It will take about an extra 30 minutes 2-3 times a week but you can do it at home.

Back