Gas Tank Management When Finishing

KB Warrior

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think this is one of the most under appreciated skills in MMA. We have seen many times where even elite fighters blow their gas tank hunting for a finish or hold back too much and let their opponent recover and take control of the fight. I think Conor is one of the best in the game at finding the right balance and I see this as an important skill he will utilize to beat RDA. He can keep the pressure on his opponent but in a controlled way so he doesn't gas. Most oher fighters are either too aggressive or too passive and it comes back to haunt them. Do you agree Conor is one of the best in the game at this? Who else has this skill? I think the Diaz brothers and Sea level Cain deserve a mention.

Thai's, followed by those studied in the Thai arts, have the best gas tank management when finishing.

Also, this handyman named Luigi I know can travel 200 miles for a job if it's something like simple kitchen cabinetry.

tank_abbott_med_display_image.jpg

Its definately a short list. Most fighters get so damn excited they are on the verge of a victory that they dump adrenaline, stop breathing properly and simply spam strikes without aiming for the target.

Sometimes I think its hilarious to watch a guy significantly hurt the other guy early in the fight only to gas himself out punching forearms and end up getting finished himself...

Its definately a short list. Most fighters get so damn excited they are on the verge of a victory that they dump adrenaline, stop breathing properly and simply spam strikes without aiming for the target.

Sometimes I think its hilarious to watch a guy significantly hurt the other guy early in the fight only to gas himself out punching forearms and end up getting finished himself...

Does Kimbo make the list?

Shane Carwin is probably the most prominent example of gassing while trying to finish. Then again Brock was given all the time in the world to withstand the barrage.
Mike Pyle on the other hand is a very patient finisher.

Was talking about this earlier, but yeah, Conor is the best at it that I've seen. He picks his shots the whole way through the finishing process. Anderson should also be mentioned.

Back