game changers

Yeah. Nothing fancy. The reason it was game changing for me is it made me reassess my passing paradigm. I was spending a lot of time figuring out how to pass modern guards, and he basically was saying 'pass low and you don't have to worry about any of that'.

I don't really like the phrase 'pressure passing' though because all passing requires pressure. Even 'fast' passing requires pressure to get a reaction to pass against. No one just jumps back and forth and passes elite guards, you have to bring pressure and then you can either play off that with side to side or redirective passes ('fast' passing) or you can just continue the pressure by changing the angle somewhat ('pressure' passing).

Thanks for the input. Passing never clicked for me until I started doing them perimeter style. Maybe I'll revisit this style.

My big one was in over under passing. As soon as I used to clear the knee (so both on the outside) I'd try to start coming up for the pass. Then I'd have a big fight as they attempt to reguard.

Now, when I clear the leg- I drive their hips all the way to the side of the mat (by driving my back leg under theirs and across the body. Then I take the under hand, put it on their knee, and drive across as I go to mount or side control.

100% improvement on successrate of securing the pass. My black belt friend learned it from Berndado Faria at a seminar, and it completely changed my approach and success.

The single stack finish is really underrated i think (or at least, under examined), even though it ties together with many different passing approaches all into one (whether it's double under, over under, leg drag, and so on).

May of 2017 I went to NY to train at Marcelo Garcia's academy. The first few days he was out of town so I was kinda of bummed but it was a blessing in disguise. Bernardo Faria happen to be there teaching the class we dropped by for, he showed his over-under pass and my game was forever changed. It was something that I just took to like nothing else in my 10 years of JiuJitsu. Three months later he came to town for a seminar and I went to it where he went over it again, this gave me the chance to sharpen the move even more. The pass changed my entire gym's game and everyone adapted to it. About 6 months later I was given my brown belt and I don't know if it would have happen at that point if I hadn't taken that one class with Bernardo

Back