Gaining Weight... Clean.... But worried. Help

Rob Wallace

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

Okay my situation is that i have recently started using the workout programme in Martin Rooneys book, the workouts are brilliant and i find they are making a big difference on the mat.

The sessions have one upper body day,one lower body day... and a hurricane cardio conditioning day mid week. ... petty much HIIT.

I train BJJ x6 sessions per week
Judo for 2 hours per week.

and then daily flexibility... which is making a huge difference aswell.

I started doing the additional weights and cardio 3 weeks ago on top of a pretty clean diet...around 2000cal and the BJJ/Judo.

I was sitting at 84kg at 6ft tall.... my goal was to get to a fighting weight of 77kg for around September/October when the major championships are.

well 3 weeks in and i hop on the scales expecting great results, expectingto be getting close to 82kg... i mean my training and diet have been really good.... well shocked was i when the scales read 87kg???............now this has got to be muscle, but WTF.... should i worry about this and try and get to 77kg, or just consider fighting at a heavier weight... i am a bit confused as to the best option.

What's your body fat % and do you have a history of weight training?

do you have before/after pics to compare bf levels? if your bf is in check then it is mainly muscle and i wouldn't worry about it (unless you need to stay a certain weight for weight class issues).

It's odd to me that you put on any weight eating 2k calories with your level of activity.

It's odd to me that you put on any weight eating 2k calories with your level of activity.

Could be over-stressing his body, causing it to hold on to a good amount of water weight.

Back