Gagnon figured Schaub would win 'Submission of Night' @UFC 165 [+GIFS]

Charlie Sheen

Invisible Belt
@red
Reaction score

"It was main card, and it's a pretty slick submission on his part," Gagnon told MMAjunkie.com Radio.

Thankfully, he was wrong. In a somewhat surprising move, UFC President Dana White announced Gagnon (10-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) would get the bonus for his submission of Dustin Kimura (10-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC), which was his second straight victory since a submission setback against Bryan Caraway in his debut.

"The boss thought I deserved it, so I'm not complaining," Gagnon said.

Source

Brendan Schaub submits Mitrione (Brabo Choke)

1.gif

Mitch Gagnon submits Dustin Kimura (Guillotine Choke)

1.gif

2.gif

Who do you think should've won SOTN bonus?

Subbing Dustin Kimura is way more impressive than subbing Mitrione.

Gagnon no question IMO.

I remember thinking I was gonna be pissed if they gave it to Schaub.

Mitrione cooperated and Schaub still looked retarded in pulling off that sub.

Mitch. I was kinda shocked and pissed Schaub submitted Meathead in the first place. :icon_lol:

I would only give it to Schaub because it was the first Brabo/Darce choke in UFC HW history.

Didn't Schaub mention something about the sotn bonus in his post fight interview with Joe Rogan? That could have something to do with it, maybe he annoyed Dana.

Didn't Schaub mention something about the sotn bonus in his post fight interview with Joe Rogan? That could have something to do with it, maybe he annoyed Dana.

Yea, I noticed that as well.
Maybe Dana didn't like the comment?

Did Gagnon really expect to win Sub of the night overa multiple time ADCC and Mundials champion?

I think they were rewarding Mitch for such a fun round, I really hope Kimura got one of those locker room bonuses we're always hearing about too.

1. Subbing D. Kimura > subbing Meathead
2. Schaub said in his post fight interview that drinks are on him and his SOTN bonus. totally assuming that he'd get it in completly disregarding the fact that there are other competitors as well.

Gagnon had the much better submission.

Then again, I hate Schaub with a passion so maybe my opinion isn't an objective one.

The UFC should give the bonuses to more undercard guys when they deserve it. Give those "locker room bonuses" to the main card guys and make a name for guys like they did for Gagnon. So happy he got it. This is a way to get more people into the earlier fights. It should always be about who deserves it most.

Back