Gagging

-V-MuayThai-V-

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Certain foods make me gag. It's mostly vegetables, especially onions and anything solid. I've had this problem since I was a kid and i'm worried that I miss out on essential nutrients. Is there a way to get my vegetable intake without actually eating solid vegetables?

Buy a blender/smoothie maker/juicer

Throw in solid vegetables

Push the button

In couple of minutes you have runny vegetables

pour into a glass and drink..

-V-MuayThai-V- said:
Certain foods make me gag. It's mostly vegetables, especially onions and anything solid. I've had this problem since I was a kid and i'm worried that I miss out on essential nutrients. Is there a way to get my vegetable intake without actually eating solid vegetables?
I don't believe you.

You wanna know why I don't believe you? Because once every week or two, we have some new guy come in here and tell us why he can't eat vegetables. Always vegetables. Never oatmeal, steak, fruit, nuts, no, never any of those.

Always vegetables.

Man, I have broken down the last couple months. I ate two 1/2 gallon tubs of ice cream two weekends ago- in that single weekend. I have definitely packed on the pounds this holiday season. I am a piece of shit.

But tomorrow morning, I'm going to be a piece of shit who eats his vegetables.

Veggies rule.

Whats interesting is that one of my sons (who is only 4 years old) has the same vegetable eating problem. He gags on em. Always did. Something about the consistancy of the stuff. I try to get him to eat them anyway almost every night. My other son loves to eat veggies. Go figure.

Man, I have broken down the last couple months. I ate two 1/2 gallon tubs of ice cream two weekends ago- in that single weekend. I have definitely packed on the pounds this holiday season. I am a piece of shit.

But tomorrow morning, I'm going to be a piece of shit who eats his vegetables.

Just do like Urban does and convince yourself you're "bulking"...LOL

My manager of our North Miami store does the same thing. I catch him with pasta and meatballs from the local Grocery Store Kitchen..."Hugo what are you doing with that shit?" "No it's alright man, I'm BLUKING!"

Madmick said:
I don't believe you.

You wanna know why I don't believe you? Because once every week or two, we have some new guy come in here and tell us why he can't eat vegetables. Always vegetables. Never oatmeal, steak, fruit, nuts, no, never any of those.

Always vegetables.

Why would I make that up? I read those boards every day and I know how everyone is about white belts and post whoring and what not so I try to ask questions that I can't find the answers to by googling it or searching the forums. I'm sorry you think I'm making it up. I've read a lot of your posts in the strengh and conditioning forum and that forum has been really helpful in helping me set up a routine (especially Urban's site).

I've been trying to go get more vegetables in my system by drinking those green machine drinks and stuff like that, but I worry about missing out on phytochemicals. Solid food > liquid. It's just been something that's bothered me but I haven't met any one that knew anything about it. Sometimes I also have trouble eating even when I'm hungry, I get excessively hungry really fast (my diet's not that bad) and when I start eating I feel like it's a task usually. Maybe it's all in my head, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem or has heard of this. For now, I guess I'm just gonna get a juicer. Thanks for your help guys.

-V-MuayThai-V- said:
Why would I make that up? I read those boards every day and I know how everyone is about white belts and post whoring and what not so I try to ask questions that I can't find the answers to by googling it or searching the forums. I'm sorry you think I'm making it up. I've read a lot of your posts in the strengh and conditioning forum and that forum has been really helpful in helping me set up a routine (especially Urban's site).

I've been trying to go get more vegetables in my system by drinking those green machine drinks and stuff like that, but I worry about missing out on phytochemicals. Solid food > liquid. It's just been something that's bothered me but I haven't met any one that knew anything about it. Sometimes I also have trouble eating even when I'm hungry, I get excessively hungry really fast (my diet's not that bad) and when I start eating I feel like it's a task usually. Maybe it's all in my head, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem or has heard of this. For now, I guess I'm just gonna get a juicer. Thanks for your help guys.
Okay, man, maybe you're the one telling the truth. But you gotta see my point of view. No one has ever come in here saying, "Man, no matter what I do, I just can't eat a steak. Do you guys know alternatives?"

Have you tried a juicer? I mean an industrial sized one. If you can get a greens powder down, maybe you could get down celery and broccoli if you blend it up. Not the best-tasting stuff, but the only way to keep the fiber in is to eat the veggie whole.

King Kabuki said:
Just do like Urban does and convince yourself you're "bulking"...LOL

My manager of our North Miami store does the same thing. I catch him with pasta and meatballs from the local Grocery Store Kitchen..."Hugo what are you doing with that shit?" "No it's alright man, I'm BLUKING!"
Haha.

Yeah. But my training as a whole has sucked. Almost no lifting, missing classes, the whole shebang. It's just I was working three different jobs there at one point, and between opening the gym and trying to help Vic get ready to turn pro, it's wreaked havoc on me. Mostly my schedule wreaked havoc on my sleep, and I started smoking too much week again.

Then, three weeks ago, I caught Vic with a hook that goosenecked my wrist hard. I worked through that pain only to somehow DESTROY my right wrist in a drunken stupor after a party this last Monday. It hurts to write holding a pencil, so I can't even lift, much less train.

Oh well, I'm getting Berardi's Precision Nutrition, and I'm going to start doing something I've never done before: eating the same meals every day. Plan in two week blocks, that's not too bad. Get my cardio back up, shouldn't be too difficult.

But man, am I glad I don't do this for a living. You guys are warriors. You don't get the luxury of these "setbacks".

-V-MuayThai-V- said:

while not a therapist, that sounds mental if even when you are hungry eating seems like a huge chore. getting the whole vegetable is better for you but think of it like this. you find yourself not being able to eat the vegetables so the juicer will get at least some of the nutrients your body needs. is it just raw or have you tried the whole spectrum of cooking for the vegies? also what if you hide them in things? sounds childish but it might help.

VMTV - what veggies or fruits, cooked or uncooked, CAN you eat successfully?

Try Greens+ as a start. I actually believe him. I accidentally classically conditioned myself against baked goods and milk in coffee. Was horribly hungover when cookies were baking in the house. Now anytime I smell baked goods I gag and become inaseuated. I recently had a stomach virus that was exacerbated by drinking milk in coffee. Now I can only drink my coffee black.

That said, you can reverse classical conditioning, just start slow. Try a few vegetables here and there, then work your way up. Even if you need to drench them in sauce to start off, try it.

BTW, I feel bad for you, as obviously you can't eat any asian dishes. Asian food is heaven's gift to earth.

zdrax said:
Try Greens+ as a start. I actually believe him. I accidentally classically conditioned myself against baked goods and milk in coffee. Was horribly hungover when cookies were baking in the house. Now anytime I smell baked goods I gag and become inaseuated. I recently had a stomach virus that was exacerbated by drinking milk in coffee. Now I can only drink my coffee black.

That said, you can reverse classical conditioning, just start slow. Try a few vegetables here and there, then work your way up. Even if you need to drench them in sauce to start off, try it.

BTW, I feel bad for you, as obviously you can't eat any asian dishes. Asian food is heaven's gift to earth.

Where do I get Greens+? The classical conditioning may actually make sense. I can pinpoint the day I started hating vegetables to kindergarten. I ate some carrot salad and threw up on myself in class from it. One of the parents (not mine) or whatever was like "you gotta eat it, it's good for you and it's tasty" and shoved a spoon in my mouth, I threw up on myself and started crying.

Grady said:
VMTV - what veggies or fruits, cooked or uncooked, CAN you eat successfully?

As a kid I always sucked the juice out of tomatoes but couldn't eat tomato chunks, I've been slowly getting myself to be able to eat tomatoes (diced tomatoes on pizza and cutting out the inside) but I still can't eat the outer layer of it. I'm able to eat pickles and carrots. Other than that even a tiny piece of onion hidden in food will make me gag if i bite down on it. I've been also getting some more vegetables by swallowing tiny chunks in soup before i could bite down on them. So i'm slowly working towards being able to eat veggies but I still can't handle the texture. I always thought it would pass, but I'm almost 20 and my taste buds haven't evolved.

batman69 said:
while not a therapist, that sounds mental if even when you are hungry eating seems like a huge chore.

Maybe, the only thing I can think of is I'm getting bored with my diet (mainly because it's limited due to the fact that vegetables limit which dishes I'm able to stomach. I love meat, rice, potatoes and fruits though. It's just sometimes I have a hard time eating a solid hearty meal.

Oh, and a quick question for those who know. By eating my vegetales as powders and juices what exactly am I missing out on? I know they have fiber, but is it the same as fiber in fruits?

Mick, I'm with you on these training blues. I am slowly getting my act back together. Today I had M&M's. What the hell was I doing eating those? I don't even like them. The past week or two being christmas and my birthday, I have eaten like crap.

I'm excited to get back on my normal diet/training routine.

Put the veggies in a blender at high speed. Then bake into items, muffins bread whatever you can bake or can talk your appropriate female figure into baking for you.

Do you have this problem on veggie casarole or just when trying to munch on veggies straight?

-V-MuayThai-V- said:
As a kid I always sucked the juice out of tomatoes but couldn't eat tomato chunks, I've been slowly getting myself to be able to eat tomatoes (diced tomatoes on pizza and cutting out the inside) but I still can't eat the outer layer of it. I'm able to eat pickles and carrots. Other than that even a tiny piece of onion hidden in food will make me gag if i bite down on it. I've been also getting some more vegetables by swallowing tiny chunks in soup before i could bite down on them. So i'm slowly working towards being able to eat veggies but I still can't handle the texture. I always thought it would pass, but I'm almost 20 and my taste buds haven't evolved.
You do have a problem, and I think it is good that you are facing up to it. Let me ask you one further refinement: you say you can eat carrots. Is this raw? If you cooked the carrots and tried to eat them, do you have the same reaction?

As I mentioned before, my little 4 year old son has almost the same issue as you. But that is actually pretty common for a young child. I am working on getting him to eat veggies and will condition him out of the gagging reaction in time. My guess is that your parents may have been pretty indulgent and let your childhood food dislikes carry on waaay to long.

It is a simple matter of acclimation. You should force yourself to take steady steps in the right direction. For example, if you happen to enjoy raw carrots, but not the softer cooked version, here is an idea: cook the carrots very slightly and eat them. The next day, cook them a little bit more, and so on, until you can stomach the fully cooked carrots. Then follow on with other veggies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back