Gaethje: UFC should remove McGregor from rankings if he doesn't fight. Talks about the LW divison

Fighters and fans care way too much about rankings. Gaethje is right about McG, but why does it matter?
I honestly think rankings are one of the worst things to happen to the UFC, way too much fighters trying to play politics with the fucking number next to their names.

Conor drops Gaethje the way he did Eddie. Gaethje will be too excited leading up to it, and will freeze once the cage door locks behind them.

He's not wrong about Conor, but Gaethje is the most overrated fighter in the UFC at the moment. Gets rocked in every fight. Kind of fighter that will be on a five-fight KO loss steak before too long IMO unless he's fighting dudes outside the top 10-15.

He's beaten Barboza (who hasn't), Vick whose UFC record is misleading with the opponents he beat and Michael Johnson who has looked awful for a long time despite catching chinny Poirer.
Lol

He's beaten Barboza (who hasn't)

Please remind me how many others have outstruck Edson on the feet.

The man has 3 TKO losses, Varner/Gaethje (weirdly similar KO's as Edson was circling away off the fence - just in opposite directions IIRC) and Kevin Lee, which was a wrestlefuck/ground n pound type of KO. Gaethje KO'ed a guy that many consider the best pure stand up striker in the division. Gaethje’s only losses are to an ex-champ and a current (interim) champ. Not saying he's underrated, but quit hating.

I'm just keeping it realist <Moves>

Last edited:
Please remind me how many others have outstruck Edson on the feet.

The man has 3 TKO losses, Varner/Gaethje (weirdly similar KO's as Edson was circling away off the fence - just in opposite directions IIRC) and Kevin Lee, which was a wrestlefuck/ground n pound type of KO. Gaethje KO'ed a guy that many consider the best pure stand up striker in the division. Only losses to an ex-champ and a current (interim) champ. Not saying he's underrated, but quit hating.

Well, Michael Johnson outclassed him in a three-round fight on the feet. That said enough about how overrated Barboza has always been due to a few awesome KO's. Dude was embarrassed by Jamie Varner of all people.

I'm a fan of Barboza, but he's always been overrated.

Well, Michael Johnson outclassed him in a three-round fight on the feet. That said enough about how overrated Barboza has always been due to a few awesome KO's. Dude was embarrassed by Jamie Varner of all people.
Sadly, he is overrated... But he is an absolute monster when it comes to kickboxing. Gaethje decided to stand and trade and he came out victorious. That's not something to be scoffed at. Just for the record, I don't think Gaethje is underrated... but he definitely isn't overrated.

EDIT: good call on MJ, I was thinking more about fights finished with (T)KO, but you are correct.

Sadly, he is overrated... But he is an absolute monster when it comes to kickboxing. Gaethje decided to stand and trade and he came out victorious. That's not something to be scoffed at. Just for the record, I don't think Gaethje is underrated... but he definitely isn't overrated.

You can't just look at the KO losses. I mean, Cerrone dropped him with a jab and finished him immediately. And people still acted like it meant something that was winning the fight until then in the first round. Got subbed by Tony in a good fight and completely owned by Khabib too.

He went pretty even with then new and unranked Paul Felder until the big low blow he landed changed the fight.

Gaethje got him after all those dudes. The win was very impressive, don't get me wrong. But Barboza has lost plenty. Same with MJ.

Agreed. Mcfail hasn’t won a. Fight in 4 years. At this point the only man he’s beaten up in recent memory is his jobber friend lobov.
4? his last win was 2 and a half years ago
{<jordan}
Get back to school

Last edited:
You can't just look at the KO losses. I mean, Cerrone dropped him with a jab and finished him immediately. And people still acted like it meant something that was winning the fight until then in the first round. Got subbed by Tony in a good fight and completely owned by Khabib too.

He went pretty even with then new and unranked Paul Felder until the big low blow he landed changed the fight.
True. It just seems that most of the time if someone stands with Barboza, they end up on the wrong end of the result. It's obvious that he can be beaten (badly) by wrestlers, but I still find it impressive when someone KO's him on the feet. Maybe I'm living in the past, he hasn't had a great run recently. Just curious, where would you rank Gaethje? I think #5 contender is very fair, I'm curious what you think.

True. It just seems that most of the time if someone stands with Barboza, they end up on the wrong end of the result. It's obvious that he can be beaten (badly) by wrestlers, but I still find it impressive when someone KO's him on the feet. Maybe I'm living in the past, he hasn't had a great run recently. Just curious, where would you rank Gaethje? I think #5 contender is very fair, I'm curious what you think.

I don't disagree with his current ranking or that Conor should be removed.

Just curious, where would you rank Gaethje? I think #5 contender is very fair, I'm curious what you think.

It's not an issue with Justin's ranking, at least on my part. It's that I perceive a sense of entitlement in him turning down someone up the chain on 4 weeks notice. Not 48 hours, a week, or whatever.....a whole month.

I'd like to think any fighter in the top 10 of any division with title aspirations would gladly accept a 4 week fight in a similar situation. Tony has taken at least some heat for turning down the Max fight for yet ANOTHER interim title. He is 14-1 on an 11 fight streak. And 3-2 JG somehow feels he deserves a higher ranked opponent, and the Date that suits his schedule........a little big for his britches imo.

Last edited:
It's not an issue with Justin's ranking, at least on my part. It's that I perceive a sense of entitlement in him turning down someone up the chain on 4 weeks notice. Not 48 hours, a week, or whatever.....a whole month.

I'd like to think any fighter in the top 10 of any division with title would gladly accept a 4 week fight in a similar situation. Tony has taken at least some heat for turning down the Max fight for yet ANOTHER interim title. He is 14-1 on an 11 fight streak. And 3-2 JG somehow feels he deserves a higher ranked opponent, and the Date that suits his schedule........a little big for his britches imo.
That’s fair. I personally don’t hate on guys for not taking short notice fights. I think his point was that he just knocked out 2 dudes who were ranked lower than him (correct me if I’m wrong about barboza) and now he wants to challenge himself. The thing about MMA is that you will get your shot if you beat who is in front of you, so I understand your dissatisfaction with JG’s attitude

Am I inb4 the Conor fans say Gaethje only wants a red panty night despite Conor being a highly ranked fighter? No?

If Conor was ranked #13 or something and the top 5 were calling him out, i'd agree with their arguments. But Conor is once again standing in the way of a division trying to move forward.

I agree they need to remove him from the rankings and then rank him after they give him whatever undeserved top fight he demands.

Speaking truth. How can you be ranked if you are retired? But, welcome to the modern UFC where rankings are meaningless and just a tool for promotion.

Back