Gaethje on eye pokes: "These gloves suck D, that's what it is."

Eye pokes are happening when fighters are trying to gauge distance or just blatantly extending their fingers out to ward off advancing fighters.
Yes! and it will continue to happen until the end of time!

Yes! and it will continue to happen until the end of time!

That's already illegal though. It's fighters who are doing it despite the rules, and refs not enforcing the punishments for doing so. Their hands aren't magically open by themselves.

As someone else said, start dinging points/DQing fighters and fighters will stop flaring their fingers out if they no longer knew they'd get away with it.

Literally never had any issue with any glove design. Stop sticking fingers out.

Does your hand not work or something? Close your damn fist. You're in a fist fight. Why are you extending your fingers out when that's already illegal and not useful for your fight?

If you have to rely on a glove forcing your hand closed you're the problem, not the glove. You're trying to fix your bad tendencies and breaking of the existing rules by taking it out of your control instead of just not doing it.

I'm not saying things COULDN'T be better, but the issue is always ultimately the fighters. Better designed gloves will still cause eyepokes if fighters are just poorly controlling their hands. Which is the real issue.
I've boxed for a while and always had open hands in my gloves besides when punching. Fighting with closed fist makes me stiff. I feel it would be a problem for me with UFC gloves.

They really need to adopt a new design which already exist. This shit is frustrating.

Does your hand not work or something? Close your damn fist. You're in a fist fight. Why are you extending your fingers out when that's already illegal and not useful for your fight?

If you have to rely on a glove forcing your hand closed you're the problem, not the glove. You're trying to fix your bad tendencies and breaking of the existing rules by taking it out of your control instead of just not doing it.

I'm not saying things COULDN'T be better, but the issue is always ultimately the fighters. Better designed gloves will still cause eyepokes if fighters are just poorly controlling their hands. Which is the real issue.
For such a smart poster... Well, u posted a not so smart post

He also says that because his coach made a glove design
That he gets to train with and then has to go fight for a living with a far inferior glove. Even the pride style gloves you can get on amazon gently guide your fingers into a less open position. I've heard fighters say that when the UFC gloves are first presented to them it's actually difficult to make a fist in them in that they really open the hand more than similar styled gloves found commonly. I've seen fighters say they spend a bit of time bending the gloves over and over so that they can properly form a fist.

So yes, his coach made a far superior glove, true. Apparently it removes the need for hand wraps, even. Allegedly. BUT, even regular gloves, both open fingered like the UFC design, curved Pride style gloves, and other more curved designs, all beat out UFC gloves in the "not forcing your hand open into an eye poke formation" aspect of the design.

Yet the UFC continues to stick with the most eye poke prone gloves, and continues to have the most eye pokes of all leagues. Makes sense! These are things I expect the gov't to do (lock up a deal with a company that provides the worst of all possible options and refuse to change due to kickbacks or profits) but I'd have expected a corporation to at least look for another style that hurts their product less.

Maybe they make backroom bets on the number of eye pokes so they need to keep it in the company or something. I don't know. It's hard to make sense of it.

Yup. Even Nick Diaz has figured out that the gloves need to be pre-curved. Note how he folds the shit out of them to put a curve into his gloves.

GSP did the same thing years ago.

Yup - this.

Not necessary. Just make "verified" eye pokes a mandatory 1 point deduction.

The side effect of this will be to increase the focus on/importance of referees in deciding a match.

Even if it's done by video in between rounds, you'll STILL get bad decisions, 50/50 calls each set of fans dispute, it's the nature of reffing and it's now been placed even MORE front & centre by having 1 pt up for grabs anytime there's an eye touch.

SOME fighters will get canny and anytime there is a finger on their face or near their eye- act like it's a real poke. The issue with verifying for sure will always be subjective and difficult ESPECIALLY as we will be trying to decide what happened in the real, 3 dimensional world by looking at a 2d screen representation which does most things great but with foreshortening and depth actually really doesn't represent that accurately or well at all. (we see this highlighted in sports like cricket which use cameras to try and tell if a ball touched the brass or was caught clean with fingers underneath and the technology doesn't do well).

True words. It may not be the same but bareknuckle has no gloves and neither does a steet fight. How often do you see an eye poke in one of those? Not even in the dirtiest street fights have I ever seen one. Ufc had the same ones for years and it seems the problem now is worse than ever. At this point it's not just the gloves. It's obvious when fighters flare their hands out in defense they're hoping for more than just a block. You frame off with the palm not the tips of ur fingers

John Fury says hello...

Why do wmma fighters never poke each other in the eye

This is an old debate where the answer is already known.
The UFC is never going to change it because they want to own everything in perpetuity.

Instead of just doing the right thing for the fighters, or maybe even just doing a test with Whitman's glove for a Fight Night...they will make the athletes suffer.

Whitman doesn't want to sell the patent outright.

The funny thing is they bought out PRIDE which means they own all their material, including the glove design. Therefore they have the ability to change it any time they want.

How do i get a hold of wittman . I have a great design for something else. Would love to sell to him or ufc/boxing

Gloves that suck dick you say?
Hmm.....
-"Hello darl- JESUS, MarleyLynx, what are you doing ?!"
-"It's not what you think 'ma, I swear !! I just wanna be a fighter !!"

cricket which use cameras
Wow insects are evolving so fast. One day they casually ravage biblical Egypt with their cute little cricket tooth, and the next day they use video-recording devices for their noble crickety endeavours.

Why would anyone be surprised went with profits over fighter safety? Why the fuck you think they got a patent on the gloves? That is the only reason why they won't change until it runs out or much more vocal protesting.

During the ref's instructions, before they touch gloves, they should have to give each other an eye poke, at which time they will be warned that the next one will result in a point deduction

Just make it a rule that the fighters have to maintain at least a loose fist at all times when standing or risk a point deduction.

Back