Future of the BJJ Market?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Again I'm not really trying to make it big... just want to know if anyone thought BJJ was getting saturated already, which would make a 5 year plan make even less sense. I can only see in my area it's pretty saturated, so I don't know how plausible it'd be to open one here without being a big name affiliate, as suggested.

I don't have a doubt I could make black belt if I do it seriously. I already have one in another art, and it's a legit one. I'm told a few people in my Judo dojo got a purple belt in a year too. Maybe I won't, but I'm not that far off either.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Again I'm not really trying to make it big... just want to know if anyone thought BJJ was getting saturated already, which would make a 5 year plan make even less sense. I can only see in my area it's pretty saturated, so I don't know how plausible it'd be to open one here without being a big name affiliate, as suggested.

I don't have a doubt I could make black belt if I do it seriously. I already have one in another art, and it's a legit one. I'm told a few people in my Judo dojo got a purple belt in a year too. Maybe I won't, but I'm not that far off either.

the community is pretty damn big where I live and McDojos are pretty rare

This really depends on where I am with my life, but I would prefer 3-4 times a week. That's about how often I would train myself, and someday I would reach the level in both Judo and BJJ at the teaching level. Opening a gym seems like a way to continue the lifestyle, as it'll reduce the amount of time I have to work on other stuff. Beats going to the gym after work any day.

In the meantime, the next 5 years or so, I hope to develop a software business that lets me work wherever I want, so the gym in a way doubles as my office. If I do well I can buy a place and get major tax write offs :)

This is a long term plan, but I'm looking at BJJ because it's a close cousin to what I do, which expands my market. Judo in my area is heavily subsidized by Japanese cultural centers and one "Olympic Training Center"... I didn't have to pay a dime my whole time here though that is an exception.
I don't think in ten years you can expect customers to pay the huge fees we have at the moment. I already heard people are running huge facility which are empty. You already know that you cannot open your club near the location where you learn. You can start teaching before you get your black belt. The way I look at it, you have an extra knowledge to sell which is Judo. Lot of students would like training Judo as well. Or at least incorporate some judo skills into the bjj game

to be honest it is not like other gi oriented martial arts which have become watered down, alot of people i know think karate, TKD, JKD, Wing chun is BS because they have never seen it really utilized usefully. growing up people thought boxing was legit because its televised and they have proof of its legitimacy. as long as bjj and subs are an apparent part of MMA It will stay strong imho

I don't understand your point to my post? I just think Tapout Training Center, UFC gyms, Victory MMA, those are the future of BJJ/MMA gyms

I don't understand your point to my post? I just think Tapout Training Center, UFC gyms, Victory MMA, those are the future of BJJ/MMA gyms

not really lol. most people generally know no good fighters come out of there. they see the results in tournaments UFC guys get destroyed. i have some friends who actually teach muay thai at the ufc gym in concord and he said while there are a select few who are actually talented, the majority just go to workout like a 24 hour fitness. the UFC gym is not at all part of jiu jitsu culture.

the biggest promoters in BJJ are budovideos, shoyoroll, wantsvsneeds, Lloyd Irvin, and IBJJf. these organizations never promote mcdojos or UFC gyms.

I think we'll see more of the mega-gym model. However, Pizza Hut being down the street doesn't automatically put the mom-and-pop shop out of business.
Where the little guys mess up is trying to go head to head with the big box. You won't beat their marketing budget, you probably won't beat their prices or endless slew of options. But if you focus on quality, customer service, specialized product, etc., you'll do just fine.

I see more of the little guys selling out to the big guys. A lot of gym owners would probably be a lot happier just collecting a paycheck.

And snoop, lots of these mega gyms have great instructors. Guys like Lister, Glover, Magalhaes, etc

Back