Future of the 2nd Amendment as technology advances

bmasters1993

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I've had this lung infection for days and while I was tripping on a combination of codeine and pseudoephedrine, I got to thinking.

For me at least, it seems clear that as long as projectile based weapons are the premier individual weapon system, they will fall (for the most part) under the right to bear arms. However, it appears as though man portable projectile based weapons systems are approaching their peak. The development of rail guns may expend their peak somewhat, but a newer, more badass form of weapon is being developed.

Directed energy weapons.

Directed energy weapons are superior to projectile weapons in almost every single way (in theory at least):
  • Much more accurate, speed of light engagement means that you don't have to lead your target at ranges below 50,000 miles and the effect of gravity on DEWs is negligible on earth
  • Recoil is negligible also
  • With a big enough power source, "ammunition" (for lack of a better term) is unlimited
  • Even as technology advances, DEWs will be difficult to counter

There are already prototypes of vehicle mounted DEWs but inevitably, as technology advances, a man portable application for them will become available.

So when these weapons, which will be much more lethal and easier to use than our current technology, become available, will the 2nd amendment cover these weapons also or will the Federal government pass legislation to restrict them before they become as ubiquitous as semi auto rifles are today.

Can't imagine some conservatives being happy that the government has man portable DEWs and the everyman is stuck with a projectile based weapon. You might as well own a bow and arrow if you bring a bullet to a laser fight, right?

If an individual can carry it. Absolutely.

Nah such barbaric weapons I will use a light Saber

Is a mirror a good shield against beam weapons? I'd imagine a laser toting guy being a bit concerned about such a defense.

Can't imagine some conservatives being happy that the government has man portable DEWs and the everyman is stuck with a projectile based weapon. You might as well own a bow and arrow if you bring a bullet to a laser fight, right?
If it has the destructive powers of something like a rocket launcher it may fall under atf "destructive devices" or be revised into that list.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-1

Generally speaking im ok with atf guidelines, so if the laser firearms fall under that i might be ok with that specific control measure.

Police would have to abide by that measure as well.

Development of the Holtzman Shield will make these weapons largely ineffective.

The 2nd amendment doesn't protect your right to own every weapon made today, much less the weapons of tomorrow.

As the future and technology continues to progress the entire consitution will need a major overhaul.

Once written in feather pens the world will have moved far beyond that and things will have to be tweaked.

It's inevitable

As the future and technology continues to progress the entire consitution will need a major overhaul.

Once written in feather pens the world will have moved far beyond that and things will have to be tweaked.

It's inevitable

Scary really scary

This thread reminds me of this scene

"Phase plasma rifle in 40 watt range"
"Whatever you see here buddy"

What will be interesting is when they make guns that look like cell phones. Picture this… A normal operating smart phone equipped with a bullet shaped like a thin diamond, wide as one of those button shaped batteries. Have the bullet resting behind the lens of your phone with a larger but thinner gunpowder filled disc behind that. Then the assassin just pretends to be recording the famous person or candidate, aim with the screen as your guide, push the trigger.

Pretty soon they are going to have all sorts of engineered technology like this. Cell phones or any other electronic will have to be completely banned in secure areas.

Last edited:
What will be interesting is when they make guns that look like cell phones. Picture this… A normal operating smart phone equipped with a bullet shaped like a thin diamond, only as thick as one of those button shaped batteries. Have the bullet resting behind the lens of your phone with a larger but thinner gunpowder filled disc behind that. Then the assassin just pretends to be recording the famous person or candidate, aim with the screen as your guide, push the trigger.

Pretty soon they are going to have all sorts of engineered technology like this. Cell phones or any other electronic will have to be completely banned in secure areas.

Not exactly what you said but...

NC_cellguard0329_1920x1080.jpg

364523-Mobilephonephotofile-1334352714-839-640x480.jpg

aac0aac2a62082ac2bf14f82daea1b5e.jpg

Camera firearm
camera-gun.JPG

They've had pen guns for a while.

Cane, umbrella, etc guns.

So I've had this lung infection for days and while I was tripping on a combination of codeine and pseudoephedrine, I got to thinking.

For me at least, it seems clear that as long as projectile based weapons are the premier individual weapon system, they will fall (for the most part) under the right to bear arms. However, it appears as though man portable projectile based weapons systems are approaching their peak. The development of rail guns may expend their peak somewhat, but a newer, more badass form of weapon is being developed.

Directed energy weapons.

Directed energy weapons are superior to projectile weapons in almost every single way (in theory at least):
  • Much more accurate, speed of light engagement means that you don't have to lead your target at ranges below 50,000 miles and the effect of gravity on DEWs is negligible on earth
  • Recoil is negligible also
  • With a big enough power source, "ammunition" (for lack of a better term) is unlimited
  • Even as technology advances, DEWs will be difficult to counter

There are already prototypes of vehicle mounted DEWs but inevitably, as technology advances, a man portable application for them will become available.

So when these weapons, which will be much more lethal and easier to use than our current technology, become available, will the 2nd amendment cover these weapons also or will the Federal government pass legislation to restrict them before they become as ubiquitous as semi auto rifles are today.

I am calling bullshit on no recoil.

I'm a simple man of boomerangs and ninja stars (also known as shurikens by masters such as myself)

Not exactly what you said but...

NC_cellguard0329_1920x1080.jpg

364523-Mobilephonephotofile-1334352714-839-640x480.jpg

aac0aac2a62082ac2bf14f82daea1b5e.jpg

Camera firearm
camera-gun.JPG

They've had pen guns for a while.

Cane, umbrella, etc guns.
that last one is dangerous… I think the Secret Service would notice many of the first ones. Nice find

utnext8-1-1600x1200-552106737.jpg

The real question is...Is The Ripper protected under the 2nd amendment?

I am calling bullshit on no recoil.
The momentum of electromagnetic radiation is given by m=E/c^2 (A derivative of E=mc^2), where E is the energy and c is the speed of light.

The energy required for EMR to generate noticeable momentum is beyond astronomical.

If humanity gets to that point, I imagine they would regulate them in similar ways as now. I imagine they would be expensive as hell. That's all assuming we don't have a catastrophic event that derails civilization, which I think is possible.

Back