Fused Discs in neck...

bumping this old thread just to say i've been back on the mats and everything is going well. It has been almost 3 years since the fusion and I feel like it somehow made me BETTER at jiu jitsu (less explosion, more technique). I play a lot of inverted guards...I stretch constantly as my neck does tighten up quite a bit but I make it work.

cheers to me :)

That's great to hear.

My C-1 and C-2 are fused due to a car accident back in 1995. I approach BJJ carefully but have also been able to train. For me the biggest issue is stacking. I just avoid it at all costs and alert all potential training partners of the injury ahead of time. They respect that and usually don't go crazy.

Good for you. I was very concerned when I started years ago. And actually it's taken me a lot longer to progress, but thankfully I'm on target to get my blue belt this year after about four years of training. It takes what it takes. Some get it quick, some get it slow. You make due either way. Good for you for sticking with it.

Cheers!

I have 3 bulged disc in my neck, 2 other discs that are degenerated as well as some bone spurs and congenital stenosis. I found out the day after being promoted to purple that I had to give up contact sports. If I was to have surgery I would have to have a 3 level fusion and wouldn't be able to do BJJ again anyway, so I am trying to hold off surgery for as long as possible. Glad to hear your surgery went well!

How many discs did you have fused?

I had a two level fusion (usually most people only have a 1 level I believe). My doctors also told me I wouldn't be able to do contact sports again but post-op I healed up extremely well and I was cleared to continue with bjj. 3 level fusion is quite large and I have no idea, but if you did have it I wouldn't say it is 100% you won't be back. Certainly avoid it if you can. I HAD to have mine due to free floating disc and extreme spine instability. If you just have bulging, you should be okay if you can handle the pain.

good luck to you sir, hope you can continue your bjj.

I just came back from having l4-l5 fused. Cleared for jujitsu two weeks ago, feeling fantastic. I was even lucky enough to speak to Nate Quarry before my procedure. Surgeons these days and techniques are truly amazing.

can some of you guys who have this problem (surgery or not), bother to go into some detail in how you roll or train? I for one, never bridge on my head...and am still unsure how to use my head to control the other guy. I pretty much dont press it against my partner most of the time, and back away if I ever feel there will be too much pressure. Any particular guards you guys use, passes, etc...this really has been a huge thorn in my side..never been able to train mroe than 4,5 months at a time.

can some of you guys who have this problem (surgery or not), bother to go into some detail in how you roll or train? I for one, never bridge on my head...and am still unsure how to use my head to control the other guy. I pretty much dont press it against my partner most of the time, and back away if I ever feel there will be too much pressure. Any particular guards you guys use, passes, etc...this really has been a huge thorn in my side..never been able to train mroe than 4,5 months at a time.

I am always aware of the neck and will not try to muscle out of chokes but it doesn't really limit my movement too much at the moment. Obviously it isn't 100 percent but I can still go inverted and such. If the fusion is successful and you have a full recovery, I think the key is stretching. I stretch/roll on my neck constantly before warming up. Some days it is sore but I am still able to go four nights a week and still be somewhat successful with it. Hope that helps!

I have 3 bulged disc in my neck, 2 other discs that are degenerated as well as some bone spurs and congenital stenosis. I found out the day after being promoted to purple that I had to give up contact sports. If I was to have surgery I would have to have a 3 level fusion and wouldn't be able to do BJJ again anyway, so I am trying to hold off surgery for as long as possible. Glad to hear your surgery went well!

Bulges can resolve as the disc goes back to its original shape, which will obviously relieve impingment of any nerves, as opposed to full herniation which can't be reversed but can be managed.

I'm quite surprised at how much fusion is being pushed on patients, as it's a 50-50 crapshoot in terms of relief of pain. I am glad to hear you guys are doing well after your surgeries, it may be that since you all are younger than the crowd that is *expected to have severe DJD/herniations, that you may have a better outcome.

In any case, happy training.

I am always aware of the neck and will not try to muscle out of chokes but it doesn't really limit my movement too much at the moment. Obviously it isn't 100 percent but I can still go inverted and such. If the fusion is successful and you have a full recovery, I think the key is stretching. I stretch/roll on my neck constantly before warming up. Some days it is sore but I am still able to go four nights a week and still be somewhat successful with it. Hope that helps!
hello what's happend since your surgery. 30 yold had C5 C6 fused. I maybe had to fuse C6 C7 because begin of myelopathia due to herniated disc against spinal cord.
People talk about Adjacent segment degenerative disc accelerate due to fusion .

For you today whats up ?

hello what's happend since your surgery. 30 yold had C5 C6 fused. I maybe had to fuse C6 C7 because begin of myelopathia due to herniated disc against spinal cord.
People talk about Adjacent segment degenerative disc accelerate due to fusion .

For you today whats up ?
He was last active in 2016, doubt he'll see this.

Avoid surgery at all costs. Doctors suck at treating the back and neck.

At the very least, get multiple opinions. Surgeons make money by operating. It is all they know.

My coach won no gi world's and pans at brown belt years after having getting discs in his neck fused. HOWEVER, he wishes he didn't get the surgery and instead looked into alternative treatments because it fucked his mobility. You can absolutely do it brother but id avoid fusion unless there is no other choice. Time, dedication, and careful recovery.

Edit: God damn, a 2008 necro? Ok but why tho

Back