• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Funniest Canadian Of All Time?

Funniest Canadian of All Time

• Norm MacDonald

• Jim Carrey

• Mike Meyers

• John Candy

• Leslie Nielsen

• Ryan Reynolds

• Dan Aykroyd

• Phil Hartman

• Martin Short

• Rick Moranis

Results are only viewable after voting.
True, but at a certain point he became a comedy icon.

Naked Gun and Airplane are really elite level comedies and Leslie delivers many of the biggest laughs in those films.

He did it with a deadpan delivery, but hey, it worked.

Comedy is subjective.
No wrong answers imo.

I tend to gravitate towards the stand up comedians because i think that is the purest form of comedy, but clearly lots of folks are picking the actors.
I agree that he was made for those roles and nobody else would have been as funny. But I’m that case, much of the credit for the humor has to go to the Zuckers who wrote the films and made the absolutely brilliant decision to cast a real actor instead of a comedian.

I agree that he was made for those roles and nobody else would have been as funny. But I’m that case, much of the credit for the humor has to go to the Zuckers who wrote the films and made the absolutely brilliant decision to cast a real actor instead of a comedian.
I agree.

And that is a big part of why I would elevate someone like Norm MacDonald to a higher comedic status, because he creates the funny material, and performs it.

Top tier for me would be people who write and perform successfully across multiple disciplines. Stand up, sketch comedy, film/TV, etc.

Robin Williams
Dave Chappelle
Eddie Murphy
Louis CK
Ricky Gervais
Adam Sandler
George Carlin
Chris Rock
Kevin Hart
Chris Tucker

Your next tier, imo, is your actors who do some writing or some improv takes and thus add content but aren't necessarily top tier across all forms or maybe they don't do stand-up. Or maybe they do stand up but never topped out as an actor and just do little bit parts

Will Ferrell
Jonah Hill
Bill Burr
Jerry Seinfeld
Most Saturday Night live actors

And then it would be the fairly one dimensional. They can get you to laugh your ass off if someone else writes them a great character.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying contributor at ANY level if this higherarchy.
But you can make a case that the top tier folks have given more or that they have proven that they are more all around funny or independently funny.

Funniest: Jim Carrey.

Most talented: Dan Aykroyd.

Dan... seems like a guy I would have done a bunch of partying with

After some tough internal debate, went with Nielsen with the slight edge over John Candy. Candy had so many good flicks, but i laughed harder at Naked Gun and Airplane.

The funniest guys were also kind of crazy, there always that connection with comedy I find
Dan Ayk getting no love in this thread, damn

I can’t pick just one for the top though

I grew up watching The great outdoors almost every month. John candy was one guy I wish was still alive today so I could see him make a movie with Adam Sandler or Jim Carrey. Everyone one of these guys are great though. Canada does really have a lot of talent for comedy there

Jim. I always found Norm annoying.

Back