Fundraiser for Richard Perry

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Fluffernutter, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Fluffernutter Silver Belt

Cliffs (plagiarized from the USA Wresting write-up and the Go-Fund-Me account):

- Rich is currently ranked number 2 in the country at 86 kg. He is currently a full time athlete with the Pennsylvania regional training center.

Last night, Rich suffered a terrible accident. He was at the national team training camp in San Diego. His eye was impaled causing brain trauma. He is in the fight for his life right now. He was medevaced to one of the top Neurological hospitals in California.

Currently, the doctors have to wait for the swelling to go down before they can perform surgery. Even after surgery there will be many hurdles to overcome. He will have to remain in California for at least 3-6 months for recovery and rehab. His wife Gina was on the first plane from Pennsylvania to be by his side.

- He competes for the New York Athletic Club and trains with the Pennsylvania Regional Training Center. He wrestled for Bloomsburg University in college, and Middletown High School in Connecticut.

Perry is a leader within USA Wrestling, serving on its Board of Directors and its Executive Committee.

https://www.gofundme.com/zjjhww-help-for-the-perry-family

2. dsdoubled Brown Belt

This happened at the training camp at Camp Pendleton?

3. Fluffernutter Silver Belt

Yes

4. HunterAcosta Brown Belt

How on gods green earth does this happen ?

5. listrahtes Black Belt

More news about him:

Regarding the accident:

They did some kind of jousting.

The name of the other wrestler who caused that is known but honestly this is an extreme example of freak accident and I am sure he is enough in hell so please if others know him just dont post his name here. Thanks

6. Fluffernutter Silver Belt

Met their GFM goal!

7. Fluffernutter Silver Belt

Your post encouraged me to head over to themat forums.

It looks like many are discussing that it may have been a pugilist stick/jousting accident. Truly a one-in-a-billion type of accident. (i.e. Opponent hit Rich with the padded stick, helmet Rich was wearing broke/cracked, piece of helmet lodged into him).

Seems to be no misuse during the game. I just wonder if the helmet was old and had brittle plastic from age, use, and being in hot and dry conditions.

8. mattemate Brown Belt

Looks like it was larping, not wrestling.

This reminds me of the time a teammate had a bizarre furry related incident.