Frustrating!

R

RoyceGracieBJJ

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as me. I did BJJ for about 3 years and was getting to a pretty decent level but due to work and other stuff (girlfriends = evil) I did'nt train for about a year, I'm just starting back training and I'm really struggling against guys who I tapped easily a year ago. I know that these guys are a year further down the line training wise but it's still frustrating knowing that you could easily beat these guys a short time ago, especially when one of these guys is a complete dick and talks to me as if I'm a beginner!. Anyone else been in this situation?

you regressed they progressed simple as that. just go back to your basics focus more on technique and cardio and once those catch back up you should be fine

yep been there........i was out for two years cause of an torn ACL. I know two years WTF. I needed surgery but didn't have medical. (self -employed, raiseing a family) now all the guys I used to give a hard time too are like almost black belts..... But I keep at it......sometimes when you make plans life gets in the way.

happens to me all the time, dont worry about it, you will be ok.
i get frustrated a lot but you got to remember, a yaear off and theyy still have been training=big difference

Don't worry dude, they improved and you didn't train, your skill level is where it was and now that you are training, you will get better don't worry, the one drawback of submission grappling that I don't like is the ego's that go with "Tapping" and "Getting Tapped"

I've never taken that much time off so I don't know what you're going through. I've had training partners come back who were blue belts when I was a blue (they took about 3 years off). Funny, we used to be fairly evenly matched. I would usually get the best of him but it wasn't easy. Now I completely tool him. And the moral to the story is don't take time off. Unless of course you're injured.

Yeah, I can't do takedowns anymore because I stopped wrestling for a few years. I can still get them, but not on anyone good.

stamina and grappling agility has everything to do with it.....You practice for a while and you can go hard for a long time. If you are out of shape b/c lack of mat time you will get beat every time. Get in shape and you'll be performing up to your old standards in no time.

RoyceGracieBJJ said:
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as me. I did BJJ for about 3 years and was getting to a pretty decent level but due to work and other stuff (girlfriends = evil) I did'nt train for about a year, I'm just starting back training and I'm really struggling against guys who I tapped easily a year ago. I know that these guys are a year further down the line training wise but it's still frustrating knowing that you could easily beat these guys a short time ago, especially when one of these guys is a complete dick and talks to me as if I'm a beginner!. Anyone else been in this situation?

im in the exact situation as you, i havent been to judo for like 6 months and im losing motivation, it sux but hopefully i'll be all good come summer when uni is over

Stay patient & positive, hopefully I'll be progressing along with you buddy.

My way of thinking about sparring in BJJ is like gambling, winning is good but losing sucks & if you dont win or lose, well at least your where you started... ignore me, I suck at metaphors.

Well, that's actually a simile but your were right about one thing; you suck at them.

Which RGJJ do you train at bro? And yes, GF's=Satan. That's why I just stick to sluts...

I stupidly took a year off with a job, girlfriend and Japanese study.
I needed a full time job to get a visa in Japan.
On the plus side, the gf is still with me (I've turned her into an MMA/BJJ fan) and my Japanese ain't bad!

You'll get back into the swing of it.

Back