Frustrated by lack of BJJ progress, need advice

at our academy, we have an extremely tough warm up, which lends itself to becoming more technical because as our instructor says in his mix of brazilian/english, you do this (referring to the warm up), and you no use power" so we become more dependant on technique, also it really does help to attempt to use the technique you learned in live rolls in the same class, then review through out the week cumulatively

Here's a good suggestion:

Does your school have no gi submission grappling right after the gi class? We do at my school, and I almost always stay after for the no gi class. Doing this, I effectively get two days worth of training in one day. And since I do this 3 times a week, I'm effectively getting in 6 classes a week (not counting open mat on Sat) instead of 3.

As well as racking up the mat time and experience, rolling no gi definitely helps your gi game. It also really helps your cardio and conditioning. 2 classes in a row can be a killer. You get at least 8 or 9 rolls in, sometimes more, and you get double the technique drilling. This should really help moves stick in your mind.

Does your school have back 2 back classes, and does your schedule permit it? If so, this is one of the best ways to increase your game.

Here's a good suggestion:

Does your school have no gi submission grappling right after the gi class? We do at my school, and I almost always stay after for the no gi class. Doing this, I effectively get two days worth of training in one day. And since I do this 3 times a week, I'm effectively getting in 6 classes a week (not counting open mat on Sat) instead of 3.

As well as racking up the mat time and experience, rolling no gi definitely helps your gi game. It also really helps your cardio and conditioning. 2 classes in a row can be a killer. You get at least 8 or 9 rolls in, sometimes more, and you get double the technique drilling. This should really help moves stick in your mind.

Does your school have back 2 back classes, and does your schedule permit it? If so, this is one of the best ways to increase your game.

We have an advanced class after the beginners on Tuesday and Thursday.

If you feel up to it you can try it out farrellesque. Some light guys there. ( 80 kilos and below ) They're pretty good though so you'll get your ass kicked but that's just part of the fun.:icon_chee

Seriously. If you've been training for 1,5 years now you should be ready to face the big boys. And the beginners class at our school has only like half an hour of sparring. The advanced can go 1,5 to 2 hours of sparring. Sparring time is ridiculously important for improving. It'll be hell in the beginning but you're gonna improve alot.

Several suggestions.
1) Two of the guys at our academy roll for about half an hour or 40minutes before class. They also talk about what moves they are doing and dissect their games and really think about what their doing. This would probably help your muscling problem too. Because when I do this roll, then go through cardio, and drills. I'm dead come rolling time.

2) I felt my top game sucked, so I decided to force myself to get the top position. Now when I roll, I always look to get top position and it has improved tremendously since a few months ago. You may just have to intentionally force yourself into certain positions you don't like to work. This can also help remove ego, at my academy, people have good guard work, I tap a lot. But tapping makes you improve.

3) My instructor was telling us during drilling "Believe". Don't doubt that you can do a move, have confidence in what you are doing, and that will make it flow better and perform better. I've also been telling myself to act with intent. Don't worry about moves failing, worry about that when they fail. And when a move leaves you in a bad spot, that's just another area to practice and improve.

No one has said this, so I'll try to help.

Drill moves after you're tired. It will help with muscle memory. If you do 1000 armbars from the guard while tired, the movement becomes instinctual. Just make sure you are focusing 100% on technique while your tired or you will just have a sloppy technique. Drill it slowly, quickly, with no resistance, with resistance... all the exact same body movement. This should help with using technique while tired.

2) The second problem is assimilating the techniques demonstrated in class into my BJJ reportoire... I'm a smart, analytical person, yet I can't seem to incorporate many techniques into my game.

hate to say it but maybe your not as smart as you think

Strength is an attribute, use it. Do you yell at the flexible guy for being flexible? Do you tell him to stop being so flexible, that it's hindering his "technique" because it gives him an unfair advantage. Strength is a part of the game.

The issue with you getting tired is because you don't know WHEN to use your strength and when to chill out. Pay attention to when you are using your strength uselessly, when you could be using bodyweight and base/leverage, and when you are using your strength when he has grips that are preventing you from doing anything other than spazzing out. If you learn this timing, you will become the "explosive" guy.

We have an advanced class after the beginners on Tuesday and Thursday.

If you feel up to it you can try it out farrellesque. Some light guys there. ( 80 kilos and below ) They're pretty good though so you'll get your ass kicked but that's just part of the fun.:icon_chee

Seriously. If you've been training for 1,5 years now you should be ready to face the big boys. And the beginners class at our school has only like half an hour of sparring. The advanced can go 1,5 to 2 hours of sparring. Sparring time is ridiculously important for improving. It'll be hell in the beginning but you're gonna improve alot.

Agreed.

I definitely feel that rolling is the overall best way to learn. I remember a month or so back there were no instructors in class, so we just did a quick warm-up and ended up sparring for over an hour. It was very helpful.

In BJJ your progress many times is not evident. But you have to remember that you are always progressing whether you realize it or not. Then one day you will find yourself a lot better than you thought you were, and it was because of the fact that you were progressing every day that you train. BJJ is an art that has so much information and techniques it takes a while to put everything together, but once you do the results are amazing. Keep up your training and don't loose focus.

Back