fruit/vegetable diet

It depends what your goals on....a fruit and vegitable diet alone would be a very low calorie diet. Being vegitarian or vegan requires you to get your protien and other essential nutrients from other sources. It could be very costly and inconvienient. I know a few vegitarian body builders, so I won't say that it is impossible to be buff while being vegitarian, but it is just very very difficult to get the calories and nutrients that are essential. Having a well rounded diet with lean meats, some but minimal dairy and a lot lot of fruits and vegitables would be a lot healthier.

You need meat. LOTS and lots of meat. Eat like a damn T-Rex.

Actually fruits/vegis could be doable with say a few scoops of whey protein a day and a decent source of carbs (oatmeal or shredded wheat)

FiendishOne said:
You need meat. LOTS and lots of meat. Eat like a damn T-Rex.

Actually fruits/vegis could be doable with say a few scoops of whey protein a day and a decent source of carbs (oatmeal or shredded wheat)

This is a big misconception many people have. Actually AT MOST you need 1g of protein per lb of LEAN body mass, several oganization (NSCA) say you need even less like .9 per kilogram. If you are trying to gain weight, not just muscle, the you need to up your calories accordingly. But you don't have to eat 700g of protein to get big.

Brand Nizzle said:
It depends what your goals on....a fruit and vegitable diet alone would be a very low calorie diet. Being vegitarian or vegan requires you to get your protien and other essential nutrients from other sources. It could be very costly and inconvienient. I know a few vegitarian body builders, so I won't say that it is impossible to be buff while being vegitarian, but it is just very very difficult to get the calories and nutrients that are essential. Having a well rounded diet with lean meats, some but minimal dairy and a lot lot of fruits and vegitables would be a lot healthier.
You start this off beautifully, I have to agree. What's funny is - I am a vegan. I have been vegan for eight years now. I'm currently 6' 4" 235lbs. My routine diet/training schedule kind of looks like this:

7AM - 8AM: Cardio on empty stomach @ 65-70% of MHR.
8:30AM: Protein/Carb meal. Usually will have oatmeal w/ soymilk and a protein bar (Builder Bar by Clif).
10:30AM: Protein Shake 1 serving = 29g protein and 8g carb (add some soy milk in it, hence the extra protein and couple extra carbs.)
12:30PM: Protein shake 1 serving, and a soy bologna sandwich on wheat bread w/ just mustard (add other condiments if you'd like). This is about 47 Grams of protein when including the bread. 45 without the bread if you just eat the soy bologna. 0 carbs in the bologna. It's the Smart Deli kind.
1:30PM: weight train for about an hour.
2:30PM: Protein shake w/ banana and soy milk for PWO nutrition. Also eat another sandwich or mix it up with some other high protein meal. Will also have a protein bar.
4:30PM: Protein shake and/or bar
6:30PM: Brown rice and vegetables, maybe add some soy protein for a meat replacement.
8:30PM: Protein shake
10:30PM Protein bar and/or shake before bed.

Like Nizzle said, it all depends on your goals. Others have said you "need" 1g of protein per pound of body weight. This isn't true however. Techinically the RDA of protein is 30-40g. But, if we're discussing building quality muscle/mass then yes, 1-2g of protein per pound of body weight is the key. Combination of foods matter as well. You want to only eat quality fats. Such as the fat in Olive Oil, etc. Only eat the good oils.

I hope this helps.

Nick

mcbadboy170 said:
This is a big misconception many people have. Actually AT MOST you need 1g of protein per lb of LEAN body mass, several oganization (NSCA) say you need even less like .9 per kilogram. If you are trying to gain weight, not just muscle, the you need to up your calories accordingly. But you don't have to eat 700g of protein to get big.

Bah. The NSCA only certifies every professional league team head trainer in the nation. What do they know?

3g/lb, muthafucka!!!!!!!!

No, not at all. You need meat. One really does not need grains, but meat, fruit and veg, yes. I was a fruiterain for a year, which is only raw fruit and vegs, thats it...It was not fun.

Good part, very akalinizing for the body..Cleaning out the body, etc
Bad, Not going to get the proper nutrients I need. Always starving.

If one eats always raw fruit and vegetables, add in meat and you will have no problem

Duncon76 said:
No, not at all. You need meat. One really does not need grains, but meat, fruit and veg, yes. I was a fruiterain for a year, which is only raw fruit and vegs, thats it...It was not fun.

Good part, very akalinizing for the body..Cleaning out the body, etc
Bad, Not going to get the proper nutrients I need. Always starving.

If one eats always raw fruit and vegetables, add in meat and you will have no problem
A raw diet of fruits and veggies can definitely go wrong for sure. I've seen peopel do it successfully, but if you're an althete and train hard, it will not work in the slightest.

As I've said, I'm vegan and feel 85 percent better than I did when I was an omnivore.

Nick

Noise, that's a lot of powder chugging goin on there. That can't be healthier than eating meat. Drinking that much powder can actually put you at risk for kidney problems. I'd rather just eat chicken breast and get 40 grams per serving. 4 or 5 shakes a day.. plan for open heart surgery by 45 bro.
'

STILL LIFE said:
Noise, that's a lot of powder chugging goin on there. That can't be healthier than eating meat. Drinking that much powder can actually put you at risk for kidney problems. I'd rather just eat chicken breast and get 40 grams per serving. 4 or 5 shakes a day.. plan for open heart surgery by 45 bro.
'
Still Life,

I'm sorry, that's just ignorance on your part regarding soy protein powder. Clogged arteries are caused by saturated fat and cholesterol. There is 0 cholesterol in a vegan diet and very little saturated fat. And by the way, it's not that much powder. As you may have noticed, it's only a couple of shakes, and I'm usually taking them with food. Of course, I could also eat vegan chicken breasts as well. The diet I posted is my current diet for the following two weeks. Because I'm also watching calorie intake and what not for what I'm tryin to achieve.

I just had a check up, and my vitals, including my liver and kidney values came back great. My doctor actually asked me what I was doing to keep my levels so good. I told him "I'm not doing anything, I'm just eating a vegan diet and training regularly."

Nick

EDIT - The ignorance statement is not meant to be a crack at you in the least. I was just referring to you possibly being uninformed regarding a vegan diet. No biggie, sorry if I offended you.

Sure you can...but I won't...gotta have my beef, chicken, pork, lamb, deer, rabbit...mmmmmmmmmmm

Brand Nizzle said:
Noise, why soy protein over whey?
Nizzle,

Whey isn't vegan technically, ha. It comes from milk, so I can't eat it. I suppose some do think that not eating anything from an animal is a bit rediculous, but I suppose it's more mind control for me to work on.

yup, I'm also vegan Noise, and yeah... soy protein powder. Geesh. Cool to see other vegans on here though. My club all jokes that I'm a pussy (you are what you eat, I guess)

Unless I'm mistaken, Bill Pearl was a vegetarian bodybuilder. And of course Jack Lalanne is a veggie, and he's pulling boats across the bay and shit.

galathrax said:
yup, I'm also vegan Noise, and yeah... soy protein powder. Geesh. Cool to see other vegans on here though. My club all jokes that I'm a pussy (you are what you eat, I guess)
galathrax,

Awesome man! Yeah - I'm a 6'4" 245lbs pussy according to your club, lol.

noise666 said:
galathrax,

Awesome man! Yeah - I'm a 6'4" 245lbs pussy according to your club, lol.

You're the second biggest vegetarian I ever knew (I gotcha, bitch!), and definitely the biggest vegan I've ever known.

Cool shit.

Madmick said:
You're the second biggest vegetarian I ever knew (I gotcha, bitch!), and definitely the biggest vegan I've ever known.

Cool shit.
Madmick,

Ha - thanks man! I've been training pretty hard actually, and right now I'm up to 252. Doing a bulking cycle right now, then will cut.

Back