from the 1st Sherdogger with a Khamzat sig: why Maia is a HUGE threat

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
For two reasons specifically, Maia may be the single most dangerous matchup in the entire UFC for Khamzat.

1. Styles make fights. No one beats Maia on the ground. No one. Don't toss that lukewarm Shields decision at me.
2. More importantly... confidence makes fights. Sure Khamzat could try and implement a Nate Marquardt gameplan and win on the feet. The problem with that is he likely won't. All signs (including this post-fight interview he just did) point to making a statement and trying to sub Maia:

His confidence is on another goddamn planet, to the point where it may be dangerous. If your gameplan is "I'll take him down to choke him out" is there any worse person in all the UFC to implement that on than MAIA? Maybe Werdum? Points 1 and 2 TOGETHER mean both of Khamzat's greatest strengths (his technical skill and his confidence) become weaponized against him by Maia.

On the other hand... if he actually implements the most dangerous gameplan probably in all of MMA history... and won via submission... I think it wouldn't be hyperbole to demand instant title shots. If that happened, for many of us in the know... it would eclipse several title wins historically speaking.

Of course the increasingly-vocal angry contingent would toss Maia in the trash, move the goal posts yet again, and just say that he's a can. But if Khamzat wins a GROUND FIGHT? Those knowledgeable would know how utterly unprecedented/insane that'd be.

Maia on the ground is like watching a sloth open a banana. 10 minutes struggling with the basics.

For two reasons specifically, Maia may be the single most dangerous matchup in the entire UFC for Khamzat.

1. Styles make fights. No one beats Maia on the ground. No one. Don't toss that lukewarm Shields decision at me.
2. More importantly... confidence makes fights. Sure Khamzat could try and implement a Nate Marquardt gameplan and win on the feet. The problem with that is he likely won't. All signs (including this post-fight interview he just did) point to making a statement and trying to sub Maia:

His confidence is on another goddamn planet, to the point where it may be dangerous. If your gameplan is "I'll take him down to choke him out" is there any worse person in all the UFC to implement that on than MAIA? Maybe Werdum? Points 1 and 2 TOGETHER mean both of Khamzat's greatest strengths (his technical skill and his confidence) become weaponized against him by Maia.

On the other hand... if he actually implements the most dangerous gameplan probably in all of MMA history... and won via submission... I think it wouldn't be hyperbole to demand instant title shots. If that happened, for many of us in the know... it would eclipse several title wins historically speaking.

Of course the increasingly-vocal angry contingent would toss Maia in the trash, move the goal posts yet again, and just say that he's a can. But if Khamzat wins a GROUND FIGHT? Those knowledgeable would know how utterly unprecedented/insane that'd be.

Don't trust fighters words too much.

He wanted to choke out Gerard but KO'ed him.

Burns wanted to choke out Maia but KO'ed him.

Maia will probably get KO'ed

In this contest, its about the difference in quickness and striking. Khamzat will just overwhelm him

<Lmaoo>

Khamzat would knock Maia out, or wrestle him into a bloody TKO after a few rounds of striking

This isn't Demian Maia in his prime, this is 42 year old Maia. If Gilbert Burns knocked his lights out it's probably going the same way with Khazmat.

I dont have a problem with his confidence. He just gotta stay focused,and dont make any mistakes,cos Maia can still get ya.

Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked if Khamzat KOs Maia with the first punch

I dont even want to see the Maia fight. I dont see it being competitive, especially with Maia's age

<Lmaoo>

Khamzat would knock Maia out, or wrestle him into a bloody TKO after a few rounds of striking
I'm going off what he said in the interview though brother... specifically a gameplan looking to sub Maia.
Khamzat most likely KOs Maia on the feet
See above though. I don't think we'd be shocked to see him win a K1 fight with Maia... but what if he intentionally tries to make a statement and takes it to the ground? Which is exactly what he says in the interview I posted.
This isn't Demian Maia in his prime, this is 42 year old Maia. If Gilbert Burns knocked his lights out it's probably going the same way with Khazmat.
Gilbert's fight doesn't really weigh on what I'm saying though. Demian is basically undefeated on the ground. Again, the Jake fight isn't really a factor in me saying that. Close as hell and Jake wasn't looking to do what Khamzat said (get a sub). Apples to oranges.

Chimaev probably will be able to KO/TKO him. Maia already got TKOed by Burns (kinda early stoppage, but whatever).

Back