• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Free fight - Aldo vs Mendes 2 (one of the best fights ever)

Amazing fight, except just like many of Aldo's fights he cheats multiple times, everyone just ignores that part of his legacy though for some reason.
Also thought Mendes won.

Great scrap regardless.

He promoted himself in a way where people tuned in to watch him. Whether that's fans that wanted to see him win or those who wanted to see him lose.

This has nothing to do with the UFC promoting Conor.

What happened to the UFC after Conor's peak is irrelevant. Since we're discussing whether or not the UFC did the right thing in a marketing standpoint to snub Aldo of the rematch.

Do you think Conor would have been as popular had Aldo beat him in a rematch and then lost again to Nate Diaz?

We should be comparing apples to apples. I don't know why you're comparing a fast food restaurant to a fighter and to a fighting organization.

Let's compare the UFC to every other MMA organization out there. Nobody has reached the same level of popularity as Conor Mcgregor. Everyone wants to fight in the UFC, most casual MMA fans exclusively watch the UFC. UFC has promoted itself to be the biggest MMA org in the world, marketing itself as having the best MMA fighters in the world. Promotion and marketing is everything, and the UFC is doing great in that regard.

You're going around in circles sir.

Yes it does in fact affect the organization how he was promoted, promoted himself, and also what happened as a result.

You can't cheer him for what he has accomplished and ignore the aftermath.

Its like punching someone in the face and ignoring the blood... causation is a reality.

You're going around in circles sir.

Yes it does in fact affect the organization how he was promoted, promoted himself, and also what happened as a result.

You can't cheer him for what he has accomplished and ignore the aftermath.

Its like punching someone in the face and ignoring the blood... causation is a reality.

Our discussion stemmed from whether or not the UFC promoted Conor Mcgregor well.

I don't see how you can look at how much of a star Conor Mcgregor became and say "UFC did horrible at promoting him"

Yup he did that against a short notice Mendes who was on his way out, and against Aldo that he got to talk shit to for a year on the press tour.

There's a reason they didn't want to do the Aldo rematch at 145 sir.
Doesn't' matter, he still won.

I wouldn't want to rematch someone I spent a year building up just to KO in 13 seconds. Especially when you have the opportunity to go after a second title. Doesn't make sense, does it? Really ask yourself that and leave your biases aside.

Doesn't' matter, he still won.

I wouldn't want to rematch someone I spent a year building up just to KO in 13 seconds. Especially when you have the opportunity to go after a second title. Doesn't make sense, does it? Really ask yourself that and leave your biases aside.

Oh but they offered the rematch @155 with no belt on the line.

Oh but they offered the rematch @155 with no belt on the line.
I thought Aldo turned that one down? Either way, again, why would you want to fight someone you KO'd in 13 seconds? Unless you're going to KO him in 12 seconds then you literally have nothing to gain. I would have loved to have seen the rematch because I like Aldo, he's one of the greats but that rematch doesn't really sell as well as his other options and that's just me being honest.

I thought Aldo turned that one down? Either way, again, why would you want to fight someone you KO'd in 13 seconds? Unless you're going to KO him in 12 seconds then you literally have nothing to gain.

Why offer it at all if he had nothing to gain?
Aldo lost we all know that, but there's no reason to offer a rematch at a different weight class on a short notice.

Either way Conor is killing his own career so I don't really care tbh.

Back