Frank Shamrock Nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's been posted before. Some things I don't like about it. It sounds like he's misinterpreted some information. The whole "eat something the size of your palm" advice was being pushed alot a few years ago as a way to measure a single portion of food, but I don't recall people saying "eat one portion of food every 3 hours" because that's not really alot.

Then him saying "Don't listen to bodybuilders because they're all genetic freaks." Later on in the same clip he admits to being a genetic freak himself, and there he is giving these guys nutrition advice.

I like his high frequency/low volume approach for strength training though. And his general take home message pertaining to eating is solid, eat frequent small meals to avoid uneven energy levels.

I don't think his new diet of eating punches and kicks seems to be working. At least last night it didn't. Ha!

Like Sonny said, there's good and bad advice in that clip. Overall I think it's terrible nutritional advice.

Then him saying "Don't listen to bodybuilders because they're all genetic freaks."

Huh...when did he say that in the video?

I don't think his new diet of eating punches and kicks seems to be working. At least last night it didn't. Ha!

Like Sonny said, there's good and bad advice in that clip. Overall I think it's terrible nutritional advice.

Wow...terrible nutrition advice? What do you specifically think is terrible? Shamrock said to eat something the size of your palm every 2-3 hours....Sonny didn't pointed out he didn't think that was enough.

I liked his general message of it all comes down to eating well, supplements are hype for the most part and that genetics do matter and you have to adapt programs to your individual body.

Hmmm, it seemed fairly obvious some of it. I agree with him that it's very hard to get fat if you are eating lots of small good quality foods and I think it's true that energy levels are balanced better by eating regularly but on the whole wasn't blown away by what he was saying.

Plus, I've never liked Frank Shamrock anyway, he seems like the kind of guy who talks just to hear the sound of his own voice.

Huh...when did he say that in the video?

Around 1:20 "99% of bodybuilders are on steroids and are genetic freaks, so really they're fooling you." That was in reference to supplementation and nurtitional advice given by bodybuilders.

Wow...terrible nutrition advice? What do you specifically think is terrible? Shamrock said to eat something the size of your palm every 2-3 hours....Sonny didn't pointed out he didn't think that was enough.

I liked his general message of it all comes down to eating well, supplements are hype for the most part and that genetics do matter and you have to adapt programs to your individual body.

Even though this thread is closed I just wanted to respond rather than keep you hanging. Most of his advice there is pretty obvious. Eating good foods is the key to nutrition, I'm willing to bet you knew that already. Still, for someone who claims to have "studied" nutrition for 4 years, his knowledge seems somewhat sub par, he sort of jumps around all over the place going from point to point.

HE does claim that you have to adapt your program to suit your needs, but his nutritional advice is typical "one size fits all" advice, eat a portion the size of your palm every 2-2.5 hours. He talks about the "size of your palm" portion and says to make sure it's well balanced , fruits, vegetables, proteins. So for me that would mean 1/3 of a cup of fruit, 1/3 of a cup of veggies and 1/3 of a cup of some sort of protein. That might even be more than the size of my palm, it just doesn't seem like enough food. It works for Frank, so I would never tell him he's doing it wrong, it's just not wise to use a "one size fits all" approach to nutrition/training.

That said, it is still cool to see what a pro fighter does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back