News Francis will only re-sign if he's allowed to box

The Bloody Nine

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
During an interview with TMZ Sports, Ngannou reiterated his intention to try his hand at boxing, a future venture he’s consistently expressed his desire to pursue. Hoping to see how his power crosses over into the squared circle, the powerhouse suggested he wants to test himself against two of the top heavyweight boxers in the world.

“Tyson Fury, Deontay Wilder. I would like to test myself to that level. It’s not the same sport, although I’m the champion, I’m in the top in this division. At the end of the day, it’s just about like trained hands, trained punches, having a good delivery system to produce bombs, and I’m sure that if I deliver my own punch, it’s pretty good, I can make some damage.”

With that in mind, Ngannou won’t be letting his UFC career hamper his ambitions in the ring. If he’s to re-sign with the promotion in the coming weeks, “The Predator” wants the option to transition to boxing to be a part of any new deal, which is a seemingly ambitious ask given White’s reluctance to allow his athletes to compete elsewhere.

“It’s always been down the line. This is something I’m not taking my eyes off of,” Ngannou said. “It’s gonna happen, either way. Even if, when the UFC and I finalize a deal, the boxing part has to be into it because I can’t see myself retire without boxing.

https://www.mmanews.com/2021/12/nga...n-with-ufc-if-boxing-fury-wilder-is-possible/

Smart of him to do that. He’s 35-36, doesn’t have too long left. He should box, even if he loses get set up and retire for life. Who cares about the belts, Tim Sylvia was ufc champ is fixing roofs and begging people for money to fix his arm

This is a mistake that might derail Ngannou's career, he is not a boxer and other than taking an L against Fury or Wilder there's isn't much for him.

He needs to focus in becoming a bigger MMA star, if he beats Gane he will most likely beat Miocic's HW record but he really needs to focus in MMA just like his african brothers Usman and Israel, he needs to focus on being a dominant MMA champ, all this boxing talk might shift his focus in the sport.

Ngannou have the potential to make big bucks in the UFC but he needs to understand he doesn't need boxing to make fuck you money, at least not now.,

I don't get the appeal behind him going to boxing, he's most likely gonna get smoked there.
We've seen this time and time again. Everyone knows what happens.

Sadly, there's a market for these superfights(I enjoy some of them). It's not as big as it used to be since they've been happening frequently enough where the interest has dropped.
Casuals don't really care/understand the difference between boxing under boxing rules compared to MMA rules.

A UFC fighter shouldn't have to beg to be able to compete in another sport.

That's just outrageous. Dana's gotten away with his slave contracts for way too long.

UFC fighters aren't even employees. They are contractors. They don't get any benefits, insurance, or guaranteed pay.
On top of that, the red goof doesn't want them to be able to make money doing other jobs.

Not to mention, the UFC can fire you 3 fights into an 8 fight contract, but you can't quit until you fight all 8 fights.

Don't even know how all this is legal in 2022 (Happy New year Shertards)

It is a reasonable request as Connor was allowed to renegotiate to allow him, Francis just wants it in his contract.

Last edited:
Why do MMA fighters really believe they can conquer boxing? Has anyone ever even come close?
I think part of it is to do with how a lot of big-name boxers get way more recognition than the guys at the top in MMA. The average person in the street or in a bar probably knows who Anthony Joshua is, but it's unlikely they'll have heard of Francis Ngannou. There is some sort of idea amongst the general population that the best guy in boxing is essentially the best fighter. I think MMA guys tend to have fragile/big egos and want to prove that they are better fighters than the boxers (which they are), but boxers are mostly smart enough to stay in boxing and not enter the world of MMA. But because the MMA guys have this chip on their shoulder, they're way more inclined to make the move and try to pull off the upset. I genuinely don't even think it's much about the money.

The closest anyone has been to doing well are Anderson and Vitor, and both of them are old men beating up other old men, so it's not all that much of a point being made.

Back