Francis N'Gannou : From homeless to UFC contender

frandie2b

------(SALD BELT)------
@red
Reaction score
Great article I've read on MMAjunkie. Sorry if it has been posted yet, here are some parts:

“I left Cameroon just to try and have a life, to survive,” When I was in Cameroon, I just didn’t see a way. I could survive, but that’s about it. I was struggling."

From his trainer Fernand Lopez:
“My colleague called me and said there was a huge guy asking to train in the gym,” MMA Factory owner Fernand Lopez told MMAjunkie. “The next day, I got to the gym, and Francis was there. I talked with him, and I gave him two bags full of clothes and stuff like gear and gloves, and I said, ‘Please train MMA.’

“The very same day, he did an MMA class for beginners. He didn’t know anything about MMA, but the way he was moving and the way he was thinking – he was so smart and such a fast learner, not to mention so incredibly strong. I knew if he kept training, he could be a champion.”

“He asked to keep his bags in the gym because outside wasn’t safe for him,” Lopez said. “That’s the moment I knew he was homeless. I offered for him to sleep in the gym. Meanwhile, we started to work on everything to get him a decent place to live.”

After winning his 1st UFC fight:
Along the way, Ngannou realized that his journey could benefit his fellow Cameroonians, as well. Despite just barely making it out of poverty himself, Ngannou began to set up charities in his native country in hopes of giving a chance to those who weren’t as fortunate as he’s been.

“I want to give some opportunity for children like me who dream of this sport and don’t have an opportunity like me,” Ngannou said. “The last time I was in Cameroon, I brought a lot of materials for boxing and MMA to open a gym. Now I just bought a big space to start the gym, as well.

“I used to dream big, and now the opportunities to fulfill my dreams are coming quickly,” Ngannou said. “My goal now is to be the heavyweight champion.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/07/from-h...-fox-20s-francis-ngannou-recounts-his-journey

Great story, we don't realise how lucky we are just by being born where we were.

Hope he keeps developing fast.

Can't wait to see more of these
cultures across the world embrace
opportunities like this in mma.

It's sort of like soccer in how
universal it could potentially grow
to be. The idea of "all you need is
a ball"... well in mma, you need
even less. This aspect of fighting;
seeing fighters from every corner
of the world rising to the top to
showcase their skills against other
human beings on a similar path...

It's this aspect which drew me into
mma in the first place. That street
fighter/Bloodsport sentiment is STILL
at the forefront of what drives my
interest, today

I love fighting.

I do think he may become champ at some point. Dude has the tools and crazy power.

83" reach, and throws punches with murderous intent. Showed good tdd against Blaydes as well.

Cool to hear him dropping some english in that post-fight interview too. He seems like he has a down to earth demeanor about him.

Neat guy, who would be a great champ.

Last edited:
ive heard people mispronounce when trying to say his name and end up sounding like big black dude(i.e "negão") in portuguese. which is pretty accurate. :D
the correct way not so much

I want to see him against someone higher up in the rankings asap. loving uber gannou right now!

Last edited:
I feel like hes a very good fighter that could become champion but at the same time its very hard to judge that based off the level of competition hes faced. Hes never even fought anyone with a wikipedia page yet. And hes already lost to someone without a wikipedia page. So we'll see.

Fun fact: ngannou sounds like you are saying big black dude(i.e "negao") in portuguese. which is pretty accurate.

They were totally throwing out the "N" pronunciation-wise in the telecast last night, and just saying, 'Gah-nu'.

I wonder what the proper pronunciation is?

Dude's got my respect, he's a warrior with a heart of a lion, hope he achieves his goals, he deserves it.

They were totally throwing out the "N" pronunciation-wise in the telecast last night, and just saying it 'Gah-nu'.

Yes. I think thats the right way. But a lot of people havent realized it yet in the media/broadcasting so for me everytime i hear they saying with the N it instantly triggers me.

Last edited:
They were totally throwing out the "N" pronunciation-wise in the telecast last night, and just saying, 'Gah-nu'.

Probably just how you write it but spelling every character

I hope people don't take advantage of his kind heart. Lots of charities in Cameroon are corrupt

Yes. I think thats the right way. But a lot of people havent realized it yet in the media/broadcasting so for me everytime i hear they saying with the N it instantly makes me think about this

Apparently it is really written N'Gannou so you do spell the N and mostAfrican names are just straight forward spelled how it's written without leaving out any characters

Ngannou seems like a great guy, I love being completely wrong after I judge someone by their appearance (While I'm not proud of assuming he might be some douchebag caveman just because he is big and black)

Trying to help homeless people achieve their dreams, only 2-3 years after being homeless himself....

I will be rooting for him for the rest of his career no matter what happens

Hopefully he can get his title shot before USADA gets him.

Back