Francis bringing back old school techniques

Don't Call Me A Casual

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Francis seemed to pull off a stunning comeback in the third round where he got a major body slam and proceeded to hold Gane down! And hold him down some more. And the next round he continued to take him down, and hold him there in half guard. Then in the final round, despite facing adversity through Gane's striking in the first two minutes, he took him down.... and held him there until the fight finished.

One of the main things that the new rules wanted to get rid of was the lay and pray styles that would drag fighters to victory over a dull 15 minutes. But fuck that noise. I didn't even know Francis Nganou's favorite fighter was Tito Ortiz. I'm so glad that we got a return to form, and lay and pray is back in full swing and can even win championships again!

Also, many ask: where are all the Dagestani heavyweights? Well now we have our answer, it was in front of us all along. The heavyweight king: Francis Ngannou.

Last edited:
I mean if Gane didn't want to be held down he should have just gotten up right? Worked for BB and Chuck Liddell all the time.

I mean, wrestling is making a comeback whether you like it or not. So you might as well get over it, and if you don't want to there are some really cool sports I can introduce to you called kickboxing and boxing. Upper weight divisions like MW-HW are ironically probably the least wrestling dominant. If there is too much wrestling in those divisions for you, then perhaps avoid BW-WW or even FLW-WW...

Gane's style is like Lay n pray but standing...

Ngannou tried to throw punches when the opportuntities presented themselves on the ground.

Every time Francis threw a punch standing, Gane would basically run away..
That's a little unfair . He was fighting the fucking Predator lol you can't just swing in a firefight at least in the first couple rounds . He has plenty of pretty violent finishes and subs on his record (proportionally)
That being said I was disappointed in Gane when he didn't become more aggressive after Francis slowed down on the feet and that sit up to heel hook he did in the 5th legit lost him the fight . I really believed in him but he's just too green . He's only been training a handful of years he'll be back and better then ever .

Last edited:
I mean, wrestling is making a comeback whether you like it or not. So you might as well get over it, and if you don't want to there are some really cool sports I can introduce to you called kickboxing and boxing. Upper weight divisions like MW-HW are ironically probably the least wrestling dominant. If there is too much wrestling in those divisions for you, then perhaps avoid BW-WW or even FLW-WW...
Tell me Royce Gracie vs Ken Shamrock 2 is your favorite fight without telling me it's your favorite fight.

That's a little unfair . He was fighting the fucking Predator lol you can't just swing in a firefight at least in the first couple rounds . He has plenty of pretty violent finishes and subs on his record (proportionally)
That being said I was disappointed in Gane when he didn't become more aggressive after Francis slowed down on the feet and that sit up to heel hook he did in the 5th legit lost him the fight . I really believed in him but he's just too green . He's only been training 3 years he'll be back and better then ever .

Sure, but i'm just responding to all the senseless Ngannou hate on the board atm..

People can acuse Ngannou of Lay and Pray, but he was consistently coming forward on the feet, and moving forward.. Gane forced Ngannou to clinch him and execute takedowns.. on the ground Ngannou threw striikes where he could, but Gane was defending well and being pretty offensive from off his back trying to get sweeps.

Honestly, I have no idea where all the Ngannou hate comes from, 4 of his last six opponents he finished in about a minute each..

He did what he needed to do against an elite level prospect / interim champ...

I mean, wrestling is making a comeback whether you like it or not. So you might as well get over it, and if you don't want to there are some really cool sports I can introduce to you called kickboxing and boxing....
Also I have no problem with Wrestling, I did it in high school and it without a doubt is the most dominate base of mma. But dude, at least try to something other than sitting in half guard and clasping your hands around a guys neck for 3 minutes. Say what you want about Khabib, or Usman, or Colby, but at least they advance positions, keep the fight moving, and always look for ground and pound. That's the kind of shit I like to see.

Ngannou tried to throw punches when the opportuntities presented themselves on the ground.

I was thinking that too Gane kept moving away from Ngannou's punches for some reason

Sure, but i'm just responding to all the senseless Ngannou hate on the board atm..

People can acuse Ngannou of Lay and Pray, but he was consistently coming forward on the feet, and moving forward.. Gane forced Ngannou to clinch him and execute takedowns.. on the ground Ngannou threw striikes where he could, but Gane was defending well and being pretty offensive from off his back trying to get sweeps.

Honestly, I have no idea where all the Ngannou hate comes from, 4 of his last six opponents he finished in about a minute each..

He did what he needed to do against an elite level prospect / interim champ...
100% agree . It's nice to see you actually know what you're watching . We saw an extremely violent finisher out IQ the most technical HW I've seen and add wrestling to his game and not only that but late into the fight . His corner was brilliant too and the way he adapted was incredible . I was rooting for Gane but Francis did something special tonight and all the hate on here is pathetic and weird .
I hope he gets that boxing pay day.

Did we get a confirmation of whether Ngannou was hurt or not? He normally looks light on his feet for such a big dude, but today he was a plodding wrestler. Not hating, he did what he had to do and the novelty of it was a jolt to the system, tbf.

Also I have no problem with Wrestling, I did it in high school and it without a doubt is the most dominate base of mma. But dude, at least try to something other than sitting in half guard and clasping your hands around a guys neck for 3 minutes. Say what you want about Khabib, or Usman, or Colby, but at least they advance positions, keep the fight moving, and always look for ground and pound. That's the kind of shit I like to see.
Sure, Francis didn't put on a clinic in wrestling. But Gane also didn't put on a clinic in wrestling either. I'm all for more action on the ground but both fighters kept it pretty basic, and when they attempted more complicated things generally, it didn't go well. And so long as we have round scoring, if you eke out 2 of 3 or 3 of 5 you win a lot of the time.

To be fair Gane is mainly a point fighter too, it’s not that much more exciting seeing a guy basically Elias Theodorou his way to victory. Gane played it super safe and it didn’t pay off this time. If he took some chances and tried to deal damage it could have effected Franks ability to wrestle in the later rounds.

100% agree . It's nice to see you actually know what you're watching . We saw an extremely violent finisher out IQ the most technical HW I've seen and add wrestling to his game and not only that but late into the fight . His corner was brilliant too and the way he adapted was incredible . I was rooting for Gane but Francis did something special tonight and all the hate on here is pathetic and weird .
I hope he gets that boxing pay day.

{<redford}

Francis seemed to pull off a stunning comeback in the third round where he got a major body slam and proceeded to hold Gane down! And hold him down some more. And the next round he continued to take him down, and hold him there in half guard. Then in the final round, despite facing adversity through Gane's striking in the first two minutes, he took him down.... and held him there until the fight finished.

One of the main things that the new rules wanted to get rid of was the lay and pray styles that would drag fighters to victory over a dull 15 minutes. But fuck that noise. I didn't even know Francis Nganou's favorite fighter was Tito Ortiz. I'm so glad that we got a return to form, and lay and pray is back in full swing and can even win championships again!

Also, many ask: where are all the Dagestani heavyweights? Well now we have our answer, it was in front of us all along. The heavyweight king: Francis Ngannou.

Thought Francis was not going to make it to the 5th after seeing his cardio after round 1. Then in round 5, I thought, Gane was just going to go all out in striking which Francis had nothing in his hands. Them two are pretty equal, both looked frustrated in there.

I thought Gane would be more successful in the hands and kicks. But hard when backing up. Like Calvin vs Giga, if you can back up a good striker the game plan changes for the striker. Francis executed a nice game plan.

Gane tried to make this a safe and boring striking match; can't really complain that Ngannou won by making it a boring wrestling match.

Yea, Gane imo has all the talent the world, (heavyweight that moves like a middleweight)

but he lacked finishing instinct, I think he will developed more of his game (playing it less safe or technical in the future)

It takes two to tango. His knees were fucked and he saw a path to Victory. Like he said to that reporter at the press conference. If you ever fought before you would realize there are no easy fights.

Back