• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Francis 'Big Frank' Ngannou Officially Signs with the PFL

Are you happy for Francis?

• Total voters
I mean good for for Francis, but I don't see how any MMA fan could be amped about this. The PFL's HW division is 3rd rate and he's not going to fight again for over a year. I don't give a shit what Frank has in his wallet. I'd rather see him fight Jones, Almeida, or Pavlovich.

If he's looking to fight a top HW in boxing he's also going to get his ass kicked. His stock has kind of plummeted and unless he fights Wilder, Uysik, Joshua, or Ruiz he's not going to make more than he would have fighting in the UFC. I'm not a "hater" I'm just being real. It sucks for the fans and in the end he will probably end up making less money.

I called this months ago

The clues we’re obvious View attachment 983197
Good call man, here's your victory dance...
ezgif-5-039974578a.gif

the only reason PFL wanted him or that anyone even knows who he is is because of the UFC though. the UFC is still the place to go to get eyes on you.

100% agree the UFC is the place to go and the big player. My point is, it won't always be like that.

Good for Francis!

MMA is a unique position to be a positive influence in Africa, unlike many sports like soccer that are largely exploitative.

Being based abroad, say, in Europe leads to clubs importing young African players, only to release them without much help if they don't make it.

MMA could put infrastructure in place IN Africa. This would be a fantastic stating point for young African athletes, and could see MMA gain popularity fairly rapidly there.

Investment could be huge.

Too bad other promotions don't see that.

It's because the UFC still has the majority of top talent and much more financial award at the top if someone makes it. I'm just saying in time, another promotion with a boatload of money can rise and tempt fighters to another avenue.

Pride/strikeforce was different as the fighters were not in control and would jump into each ship and fight anyone for a payday

As fighters become more aware of their worth, it will become much harder to make fight sand more stars will try and make an exit to other avenues.

It is very hard for me to put everything into words, or I'd be writing an essay, but I will end it like this.

UFC won't always hold the cards it has now and we won't always get to see the best fight the best. It WILL become like boxing. It may not happen in 10 years like I stated earlier, but it is inevitable. Cards are already diluted as fuck compared to 5-10 years ago

Fedor had similar demands when he was with M-1 and that why Dana wouldn't sign him. He wanted a cut. In fact, I think M-1 wanted half if they cross-promoted!

So what we've seen isn't a world first by any means - it's just a new generation of MMA fans haven't seen someone tell the UFC to shove it before lol

Germaine De Randamie is already training after giving birth many weeks back.

I've always felt the UFC didn't appreciate what they had in her.. someone who always wanted to put on a show. For the longest time she kept her officer gig while still fighting I believe.

I would love to see her in the PFL as well.. GDR vs Pacheco would be sick! Maybe a Super Fight with Clarissa Shields on a PFL PPV as well.

That's cool that he got paid and he'll get to box, but does he actually get paid when he's not competing? Was there like a signing bonus? Dude hasn't done shit in a while and it sounds like it'll be a while until he does anything again.

I've always felt the UFC didn't appreciate what they had in her.. someone who always wanted to put on a show. For the longest time she kept her officer gig while still fighting I believe.

I would love to see her in the PFL as well.. GDR vs Pacheco would be sick! Maybe a Super Fight with Clarissa Shields on a PFL PPV as well.
I think she burned some bridges when she refused to defend her title against Cyborg. After that they were kind of done with her.

Good for Francis!

MMA is a unique position to be a positive influence in Africa, unlike many sports like soccer that are largely exploitative.

Being based abroad, say, in Europe leads to clubs importing young African players, only to release them without much help if they don't make it.

MMA could put infrastructure in place IN Africa. This would be a fantastic stating point for young African athletes, and could see MMA gain popularity fairly rapidly there.

Investment could be huge.

Too bad other promotions don't see that.

Drogba and Mane have literally built hospitals in Africa with the money they made from soccer. It's far less exploitative than MMA. I can't think of a sport where the players are more powerful.

She's still with the UFC as far as I know.

because she literally ducked Cyborg when GDR had the title

I have a premonition that after all this Nngannu will be brutally koed in the 1st round of his very first PFL fight.

I hope Francis gets the boxing match and just troll the PFL by never fighting ever again. I honestly don't think he can sell a PFL PPV.
I still don't understand how they will market him, they have no library or any footage of him and with so many years outside of fighting what casuals are going to care? Looks like Francis hit the African King scheme on PFL

This always happens. He will get a higher guarantee, won’t make more than that. The lesser company will regret it within 3 fights because he won’t generate the revenue necessary for his pay. And will end up back in the ufc making good money, but not what he deserves

Back