"Foxcatcher" movie about Dave and Mark Schultz

Just saw this. It painted MMA in a very negative light. It also had Mark Schultz watching UFC in 1987 for an event that took place in 1996. Specifically the Gary Goodridge/Paul Herrera fight where Goodridge elbowed him into oblivion.

Just saw this. It painted MMA in a very negative light. It also had Mark Schultz watching UFC in 1987 for an event that took place in 1996. Specifically the Gary Goodridge/Paul Herrera fight where Goodridge elbowed him into oblivion.

yeah then it had Shultz Character face off against some Russian Guy , when I recall that he only had one MMA fight and it was against Goodridge. Also the movie makes it look like Dave got shot in 1988 right after the Olympics when really he did get shot till 1996 and Kurt Angle dedicated his gold medal win to Dave

fyi Spoilers coming

Is it really a "spoiler" if it's a well known true story though? I mean I know not EVERYONE knows the story but growing up as a wrestler in the Midwest, you'd find more people who did know it than didn't.

I either never heard of, or forgot about this story until the movie was being released.

Is it really a "spoiler" if it's a well known true story though? I mean I know not EVERYONE knows the story but growing up as a wrestler in the Midwest, you'd find more people who did know it than didn't.

Mark Schultz has been pretty adamant in saying that the movie is pretty much a fictional story and is quite a way's off from the real story. He does also say it's a great movie though. Just not totally based on his and Dave's story.

I either never heard of, or forgot about this story until the movie was being released.
Fair enough.

Mark Schultz has been pretty adamant in saying that the movie is pretty much a fictional story and is quite a way's off from the real story. He does also say it's a great movie though. Just not totally based on his and Dave's story.

Ah, I haven't read that, nor have I seen the movie because it won't be released here until JANUARY 16TH!!! So frustrating.

You explained what the movie was about nicely, looking forward to watching it.

Yea I saw it and the time line is really distorted. I also thought it implied mark went on to become an MMA fighter when he only fought once

Yea I saw it and the time line is really distorted. I also thought it implied mark went on to become an MMA fighter when he only fought once

Yeah the whole USA chant at the end felt awkward because it made it seem like he found the glory of fighting for the US he was looking for even though he was already a gold medal olmypian in 84 and a world champ in 87

The MMA bits weren't all that important to the story, it was just backdrop. The biggest audience reaction was when they showed the famous Goodridge elbow smash lmao

I'm sort of ok with the time leap, it was a creative choice. I do wish they would have expanded on the Dave & du Pont relationship. I think i read that the two brothers never trained at the same time at Foxcatcher.

The wrestling scenes are awesome. I normally don't even like sport movies (moneyball was meh), but this is a good film.

Back