Four Connected Cancer Charities Con People out of 187 mil

KILL KILL

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This is probably one of the most heinous things I've ever heard.

Washington (CNN)In a rare joint action with attorneys general for each of the 50 states, the Federal Trade Commission says four cancer charities run by extended members of the same family conned donors out of $187 million from 2008 through 2012 and spent almost nothing to help actual cancer patients.

The Cancer Fund of America is run by James Reynolds Sr. His son James Reynolds Jr. is the CEO of the Breast Cancer Society. Another charity, the Children's Cancer Fund of America, is run by Rose Perkins, the ex-wife of the elder James Reynolds. He's also the CEO of the fourth charity, Cancer Support Services.

The government says the charities claimed to provide direct support for cancer patients, breast cancer patients and children with cancer.

"These were lies," the government's complaint says.

Jessica Rich, chief of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection, says that in all, the charities spent about 97% of donations they received either on private fundraisers or on themselves. Only 3%, she says, went to help actual cancer patients.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/19/us/sc...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

So all 4 charities were owned by members of the same family that kept or spent 97% of the money raised.

Expose them all to lethal doses of Radiation and let them die from cancer.

Whoa. That's some seriously fucked up shit...

They deserve to have all their assets seized and sent to prison for a nice long visit.

they discovered this 186 million dollars too late

I worked for the American Cancer Society. While they're not on the list, they're shady as fuck.

The con has moved on to veterans charities.

I've heard this before. The Susan Komen organization was like that too. Not much in donations actually went to finding "cures". I've been to high school athletic events where the players wear pink and donate money to it. It gives me a sick feeling cause it seems like a scam. I think the athletes mean well but they have no clue that people are lining there pockets with those "donations" what they're doing won't really do much good.

These charities are so full of shit. Inflated salaries, bonuses, great travel accommodations, top heavy, snake oil sales, and the services they claim to provide are really provided by volunteers acting on their behalf. When I worked for ACS I used to ask so many WTF questions, and was given BS answers. And much of the leadership have worked for other large charities. They make a career out of exploiting pain.

A LOT of charities in plain view spend copious amounts of donor funds on recruitment, exorbitant salaries, and advertisement.

Last edited:
I've heard this before. The Susan Komen organization was like that too. Not much in donations actually went to finding "cures". I've been to high school athletic events where the players wear pink and donate money to it. It gives me a sick feeling cause it seems like a scam. I think the athletes mean well but they have no clue that people are lining there pockets with those "donations" what they're doing won't really do much good.

First question I asked at ACS was, "Who do I contact within ACS to assist people who can't afford treatment or can't pay their bills while receiving treatment?"

The response was, "We don't provide funds for that. We would direct them to one of the local charities."

Don't give them your money.

Remember the NFL does this too in October. Breast cancer awareness month. They say buy the pink jersey to support breast cancer cures. It's all a scam when you consider wear the money goes.

A LOT of charities in plain view spend copious amounts of donor funds on recruitment, exorbitant salaries, and advertisement.

Yea in this case only 3% of the funds raised went to the actual people in need, but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that even the best of the best charities only give around 20%, and I think the average is probably like 10%. Everything else to "administrative costs" of course.

You know what though? The legit cancer charities aren't much better.

Yea in this case only 3% of the funds raised went to the actual people in need, but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that even the best of the best charities only give around 20%, and I think the average is probably like 10%. Everything else to "administrative costs" of course.

100% of the money should be given to the people in need.

Is anyone honestly surprised? I actually thought about this the other day. Hundreds of millions of dollars donated and from what I can tell cancer research(for the most part) is pretty stagnant.

But just imagine how much more waste and inefficiency would have been created if some public sector schlubs were running these charities.

We're always ahead of the game if we keep the government out of trying to help people. And let the profit driven entrepreneurs lead the charge. Hasn't the American health care system at least taught us that much??

Back